Sign in to follow this  
Moupe

Z4M Suspension Upgrade Advice

Hi All,

I’m looking to replace the OEM shocks on my Z4M with Bilstein B6‘s (springs won’t be changing). I want the B6’s over the B8’s as I don’t want to change the ride height (it’s already a struggle getting out of my driveway as it is). I also want to stick with Bilstein as this has always been my preferred brand of shocks.

The main reason for the change is to improve the handling of the car on NZ b-roads. The stock suspension setup on these isn’t that great on any road that is slightly bumpy.

I’m looking for real world experience from anyone that owns (or has owned) a Z4M that has/had this setup. Or anyone with general experience that can recommend (or not) these on this car. I’ve read a couple of dozen forums and the consensus seems like they really transform the car. However, none of them are in NZ so will be dealing with completely different roads (although UK roads are worse than ours and there was positive feedback on UK forums).

Also, where in Auckland (close to the city) would be the best place to have them installed (noting that I would be sourcing the shocks myself)?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Moupe

Either of the BM Workshop branches will be a good choice to get it done. Just ask them first if they're ok with you supplying the shocks. The Botany branch was always pretty flexible around this sort of thing in my experience.

You'll likely see an improvement even if just from the fact they're new shocks. Your stock ones might be quite worn depending on mileage and the kind of roads that mileage was racked up on. Ride quality does degrade on worn shocks.

4 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Either of the BM Workshop branches will be a good choice to get it done. Just ask them first if they're ok with you supplying the shocks. The Botany branch was always pretty flexible around this sort of thing in my experience.

You'll likely see an improvement even if just from the fact they're new shocks. Your stock ones might be quite worn depending on mileage and the kind of roads that mileage was racked up on. Ride quality does degrade on worn shocks.

Thanks for that. Will check with the Grey Lynn workshop.

Yeah, the OEM ones are fine on smooth(ish) roads but the minute it gets a bit bumpy the car gets quite skittish.

To be honest it’s not overly bad but I feel like it’s time to spend some money on it :)