Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

engine conversion

hi all,

have got a 318iS (m42) now and am swapping with my 320(m20) , as the iS has 90000 less K's! 320 is a 1988, iS is a 1990..

only got 100k on it, what i want to know is i am thinking about swapping the entire looms over, can they be split without joining, ie want to only swap engine looms as they are different???

-Do these have different engine mounts?

-What size are the torx bolts that separate the g/box from the engine?

-How do i drain clutch fluid?

-iS has ABS brakes, should i bother putting them in the 320?

-And should i put a 318iS badge on the back of the 320 when im done :D

THANKS!

Id be surprised if they dont have different mounts given its a 4 vs a 6 but I have no experience on it. If youve still got both cars there you should be able to swap over enough to get it to work though. Thats all a guess based on other cars though, ive never pulled an E30 engine out.

Closest I can find on the Torx bolts according the the haynes manual which lists the ft-lb torque to be

Transmission-to-engine Torx-head bolts

M8............16 to 20

M10...........35 to 38

M12...........49 to 60

Not sure where each size bolt is used but Id suggest you have the ability to deal with all three

Draining clutch fluid is easy enough. Just do it the same way youd bleed the clutch except dont put any more fluid in the top. With the motors ive changed over I havnt even bothered draining it. Just disconnect it from where it meets the gearbox and leave it hanging in the car. Though havnt tried an E30 so this may not be possible (has worked on Nissans and Toyotas ive tried)

Edited by Bullitt

nice, you could just block the gearbox end i suppose? and will look into the mounts, might buy a set of those torx heads.

Want to start but also want to come to the meet! might hold off till i know a bit more as i want to lighten the 318 flywheel, worth it?

will answer all your questions and give sage advice tomorrow...its gonna be good

i like your project

nice, you could just block the gearbox end i suppose?

On nissans and toyotas the clutch hose piece bolts to the outside of the gearbox and when you push your foot on the clutch it pushes a pieces against the clutch fork which is attached to the gearbox and not directly to the hose. If you unbolt the hose piece from the gearbox you obviously loose the use of the clutch but you dont loose any fluid. Whether BMWs are the same Im not sure.

If you want a hand Im happy to come help. Have no experience with BMW engines beyond changing the oil but like I said Ive done Toyota and Datsun ones.

yeah would rather drop motor out from bottom as i dont want the drama of taking gearbox off and clutch alignment etc, might have to get hold of james (surge) he has a pit but also doing his project.

well here we go...

going by doing 2.5 stuff, the torx should be e14 and e12 (big and small respectively), buy yourself a set of torx sockets, around $60 from repco, your probably going to need them

clutch fluid easy, undo the line near the brake booster, pump it a couple of times into a container then let it drip

forget about ABS, way too much extra sh*t..the whole lines are different...more hassle than its worth, although i do like having it

the engine mounts i imagine are bound to be similar enough to use...not sure though...the front subframe is the same so if in doubt buy a couple of new iS ones ( a good idea anyway, new engine mounts are very very good idea ) and use them

you will need driveshaft from the iS too, or at least the front half.

the wiring will probably be the hardest bit, if desparate use the whole iS car loom, but i imagine an easier bet will be to get an auto electrician to match up the iS engine loom to the 320 car loom via some sort of adaptor

give yourself plenty of time to do it as its your first engine thing, doing things slow helps prevent f**k ups..ask me how i know! there plenty of help available on here too

Thanks gus!! yup im desparate and am going to swap whole looms over, as my loom has been fried like eggs once so prob a good idea, and also--

take the bonnet off and lift out g/box and m42 at once??? surely this will work.....saves me taking g/box off motor

about the driveshaft, just use the whole thing, saves having to get it balanced.

Agreed on ABS, not worth the hassle and just something else to go wrong.

I'd use your old clutch cylinders, (or buy new ones) alot of people have had clutch hydraulic problems after conversions, might be something to do with seals drying out or something.

Pit not really needed. did 2.0 to 2.5 conversion without one, and we dropped the box seperately. (Now I know better) Axle stands and jacks should be fine.

EDIT- take bonnet off anyway, don't try lift engine and box out thru the bonnet. Drop it out underneath the car.

Edited by petone

yeah, i still think i could get it on the right angle and pull out everything up out the bonnet, i really dont want to re align a clutch, anyway going to strip both cars this weekend and start the fun stuff, swapping the looms.........mmmmmmm looms........and solder <_<

So... now im thinking of getting rid of my cetre console/s as well and putting window switches on the heater panel where the clock goes, would this be badass?? kinda wana make it more racey / badass.. :huh:

WILL engine fit out underneath a car with axle stands? note: car is low. oh yeah also can the 318iS engine loom just plug into my round plug thing that sits in front of wipers ? the pulf you put the bmw service tool into??

Edited by nz320i