Sign in to follow this  
pug'n

ICV

Yo

ICV's, on E30s blah blah blah

I need to know -

for operation of these.....

do they run 12v at full open, and 0 at full closed, and progressively open with varying voltage?

hopefully somebody get's what I mean....

need to know for potential project I'm tackling

shot

Right, this is what I have found while wiring in the link to 325rockets 325it project. On the 3 terminal ICV you have Battery power on the centre terminal with the ignition on. There should be about 10 volts between the centre terminal and both outer terminals.

Three wire ICV check. With engine off, use an ohm meter and check the resistance on the two outer terminals of the valve. it should be about 40 ohms. Check the resistance on the centre and outer terminals of the valve. They should be about 20 ohms.

Basically the ICV valve is a potentiometer. I believe the computer sends varying voltage to the valve which is picked up from the Computer Temperature sensor and then tranfered to the ICV. This then turns the valve on the inside and blocks the air passage at various stages to control the amount of unmetered air and in tern controlling the idle.

Hope this is of some help.

Right, this is what I have found while wiring in the link to 325rockets 325it project. On the 3 terminal ICV you have Battery power on the centre terminal with the ignition on. There should be about 10 volts between the centre terminal and both outer terminals.

Three wire ICV check. With engine off, use an ohm meter and check the resistance on the two outer terminals of the valve. it should be about 40 ohms. Check the resistance on the centre and outer terminals of the valve. They should be about 20 ohms.

Basically the ICV valve is a potentiometer. I believe the computer sends varying voltage to the valve which is picked up from the Computer Temperature sensor and then tranfered to the ICV. This then turns the valve on the inside and blocks the air passage at various stages to control the amount of unmetered air and in tern controlling the idle.

Hope this is of some help.

so more voltage = closes the valve to lower the amount of air able to travel thru??

so 0 volts = full open, 10v = full closed, essentially?

cheers