found out something interesting today

the FL 320/325 manifold has ports c.34mm

the Pre FL 325 manifold has ports c.31mm

bit of a diff!

leaving me with a problem, but i thought i would let people know

they have different flange types too

leaving me with a problem, but i thought i would let people know

whats the problem?

i have a few of these around (dont know what ones)

what one do you need? might be able to help you out

my exhaust is pre FL...anyway bugger it all gonna get it welded up...at least there a space for a wideband Oxy further down the line...finally may have a little power at least!

the point i was trying to get across, was people with a pre FL car, might (or might not) benefit from having the facelift manifold (it looks beefier too, less prone to cracking??)

im using the stock one after having headers, although i am discovering it is mainly my cam giving me my super peakiness

the stock one is just so much easier to work on (can actually be taken out easily, without having to resort to taking the engine out and no im not joking)

having said that, GOOD headers ($$) have been shown to be decent

personally id rather spend cash on turbo manifold

Hi umm I was just reading the top question & I was looking at buying some extractors off a 84 320i e30 (don’t know what facelift it is but it has the big reverse lights) & I was planning on putting them on my 89 320i e30 (little reverse lights)

So what you’re saying is that they won’t fit?

Thanks

firstly - clarify a few things for ya, hopefully get you upto the play if you didnt already know these facts :) no harm in learning.

1. Hes talking about an E30 325i .. completely different manifolds to the M20B20 (320i)

2. Pre facelift E30's runned from about 1983 - early 1988

Facelift E30's went from 1988 - 1991 (some 1992's.. mostly convertables).

Some key differences between facelift / prefacelift

- Facelifts have black plastic bumpers / Prefacelifts have chrome bumpers with black trim.

- Pre facelifts have vertical spanning reverse on tail light / Facelifts have horiztonally spanning reverse on tail light

- Pre-facelift taillights are shorter vertically than facelift taillights.

- Facelift wheel arches are lower on the rear .. not equal heights.

- headlights are different as well

The manifolds may be different, they may not. I believe the 320's ran the same engine right the way through the E30 range but enlighten me people. I'm sure it went from L-jetronic to Motronic later on so maybe there are some subtle differences.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

actually im fairly sure that the 320/325 manifolds are the same..at least in the facelifts...check etk...part numbers are same IIRC

Manifolds from pre f/l and f/l have the same mounting to the head for both 320 and 325. As long as they came off an M20 motor they will fit across the range. (including 323 also)

The flange that the exhaust bolts to differs.Pre-f/l normally has 3 bolts and f/l normally has 4 bolts, but there is bound to be some mix and match. Also, as Gus says, there are bore differences between the manifolds.

So the extractors will fit as long as they came off a m20 motor but you will have to have the rest of the exhaust modded to fit to the extractors.

Will

firstly - clarify a few things for ya, hopefully get you upto the play if you didnt already know these facts :) no harm in learning.

1. Hes talking about an E30 325i .. completely different manifolds to the M20B20 (320i)

2. Pre facelift E30's runned from about 1983 - early 1988

Facelift E30's went from 1988 - 1991 (some 1992's.. mostly convertables).

Some key differences between facelift / prefacelift

- Facelifts have black plastic bumpers / Prefacelifts have chrome bumpers with black trim.

- Pre facelifts have vertical spanning reverse on tail light / Facelifts have horiztonally spanning reverse on tail light

- Pre-facelift taillights are shorter vertically than facelift taillights.

- Facelift wheel arches are lower on the rear .. not equal heights.

- headlights are different as well

The manifolds may be different, they may not. I believe the 320's ran the same engine right the way through the E30 range but enlighten me people. I'm sure it went from L-jetronic to Motronic later on so maybe there are some subtle differences.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Andy

hey thanks for all that info i really appreciate it :)

Ill see what happens when i fit it lol

thanks