Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

ZF S5-16 5spd Manual??

How the Fark did we get onto the subject of diffs last time I asked this question...

I have a south african built 89 320i shitter with a ZF S5-16 5spd Manual standard. Will this transmission work with my 92 m50 2.5ltr? Bare in mind I will plan on using my m20 flywheel and starter 325i standard clutch "new". Will I have any angle problems? I allways read about getrags and there isn't much round about the ZF S5-16. Plus all that I find is all in german. Any advice would help,

THanks

Hey Mate a little knowledge [in the wrong hands is dangerous]sorry about that.

A responded to your question about compatability of engines & boxes [but added extra info about 'gearbox ratios & diff ratios'] these I got from a USTCC homoligation form for E36 325/328/M3's

The answer to all your questions is YES [Just bolt it all in] What I was trying to point out is BMW ZF S5-16 boxes with their respective diffs were just as compatible as the 1:1 5th Boxes with their diffs

Everytime I hear of people doing a Manual conversion,they go running around looking for a manual diff [You don't need to with this box]

Look at the bright side,At least I got one person to pick-up their calculator [Enough to make my maths teacher proud]

Hey Mate a little knowledge [in the wrong hands is dangerous]sorry about that.

A responded to your question about compatability of engines & boxes [but added extra info about 'gearbox ratios & diff ratios'] these I got from a USTCC homoligation form for E36 325/328/M3's

The answer to all your questions is YES [Just bolt it all in] What I was trying to point out is BMW ZF S5-16 boxes with their respective diffs were just as compatible as the 1:1 5th Boxes with their diffs

Everytime I hear of people doing a Manual conversion,they go running around looking for a manual diff [You don't need to with this box]

Look at the bright side,At least I got one person to pick-up their calculator [Enough to make my maths teacher proud]

Yeah sweet man

Was useful information

Gets me thinking about what sort of ratios to go for