Sign in to follow this  
Surge

Gearbox allignment

In the process of swapping the good 1.8 M10 out of my car into my friends sisters car with a shagged M10 - We're having some troubles with the gearbox (the old auto onto my m10) getting it alligned up correctly so the bell housing sits flush with the block.

At the moment there is approximately a centimetre gap around it.. I think the inside 'cutout' on the spline is alligned with the notch in the gearbox. Also the spline from the block's vary slightly - one has a thinner longer extension coming from it, the newer one does not.. this however shouldn't block any installation.

If anyone could give any words of advice about how to remedy this problem it would be great! By the way can't use the gearbox that came with my car - It's rooted and doesn't go out of 1st.

Cheers!

Bugger, if you want that getrag james it should be out next weekend. Maybe. I have so much to do what a huge job! Did you get that 2.5 going in the end??

The 2.5 is on the backburner at the moment till I get this m10 powered thing out of the garage - We sorted the gearbox out, simply a matter of swapping the torque converter over and the flywheel to the newer engine.

The only problem I see now before putting the engine back in is the 86 318i (which this engine is out of) has 3 fuel lines (and subsequently the engine also) and the older 84

318i has two... Anyway around this?

I'm presuming the 3 are return, main, and vapour? Help much appreciated! B)

i fitted a replacement gearbox to my 318i auto i had a similar problem

loosenthe bolts a bit so the gap is even all round then put the box in a gear of choice and turn it using a crow bar at the back of the box where it links to the prop shaft, this will turn the top of the gearbox and hopefully youl align it correctly if not youl probably havto to pull it in with the bolts and a push from the rear of the box...make sure it lines up tho my bro snapped the front lil bits wen he tried to start his

hope this is relevant and helpful

:)