Sign in to follow this  
rf_key

Can I exchange the key blades of 2 vehicles?

(English is obviously not my native language - best effort, bear with me)

What may sound like occupational therapy has actually a solid motive. I own an E46 each in Switzerland and New Zealand, which (if you want) can be seen at http://pro-mobile-internet.net/

The newer one (silver colour) has 2 keys, but I only need one. The older one did have the IR key; I had this replaced privately with an RF key. Everything fine, with one flaw though: The technician could not get a 'Taiwan key' with a rechargeable battery, only ordinary battery.

Hence my thought to use the second swiss key, but equipped with the NZ blade - so would exchanging the blade be feasible, plus the ensuing electronic adaptations? And would it actually be charged by the older car model?

Don't see the point tbh. 

Exchanging the key blade involves cutting open a sealed key and having to cut and re glue the blade etc and risking damaging it. Just not worth it for not having to swap the battery every few years. As for charging i would think the IR equipped car use the same antenna ring as RF (which does the charging). Maybe check BMW parts numbers via http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/

Interesting to hear. So your complete answer (including the unspoken part) is something like, 'Technically it would be possible, although it involves some nasty and risky tinkering - is it worth it'.

I think I'll sleep over it, and certainly more than once. Thanks a lot!