Sign in to follow this  
Choo

F20 116i Tuning

Hello there,

I'm toying around with the idea of treating my f20 to a Stage 1 tune, and possibly a transmission tune. 

Would it be worthwhile doing either or better to save up for my next bmw :D?

Thinking of getting this done at NZ Performance Tuning in Henderson as it's relatively close to my office but am also open to getting this done elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and suggestions  :).

Edit: Also wondering if re-mapping with a dyno is really necessary due to the difference in cost. For example, ChipTuning NZ  ($995 without a dyno), and Torque Performance ($1295 to remap with dyno). I'm assuming since the F20 is a fairly common car then many service providers would already have the re-map files and I could save some money.

Edited by Choo
additional info

Chip Tuning NZ claim a 25% increase in power and a 32% increase in torque on a stock (unmodified) engine. Indications are that there are no supporting modifications required for operation at the raised output. No dyno time is required as the tune has already been optimised and tested for your specific engine. This is no different to the Off The Shelf (OTS) tunes offered by the likes of MHD. A proven chip tune may leave a little on the table (be a little more conservative) compared to a custom tune, and I don't consider that to be a bad thing.

By comparison, a custom dyno tune allows the tuner to push the envelope a little further as the engine performance under load can be monitored and adjusted. Effectively, the tuner will install a tune file developed on the same engine and then tweak it on the dyno. Having the tune file available will shorten the actual tuning process. But it is unlikely to lower the price, as the tuner will have invested time in developing the original tune and will want to recoup that cost on subsequent tunes. 

A 25% bump in power will liven your car up and make it more fun to drive. For a bit more money you may get a little extra power from a custom tune, but that depends on the skill and experience of the tuner. Maximum power on the dyno does not always equate to the best driving car on the road. Ask both these companies if they are able to put you in touch with the owner of a 116i that they have tuned. See if you can arrange a test drive before you decide. 

Good luck :)

I guess these custom tunes are what account for the different BHP and torque numbers quoted by the various service providers. 

Thank you for this bit of education. :) 

Engine tuning is a competitive business, and peak numbers make for good advertising :)  However, not all chassis dynos are made the same. Testing the same car on three different dynos on the same day will often give three different peak power/torque readings. So it pays to remember that the primary benefit of any dyno is being able to measure if the changes the tuner is making are improving the performance of the engine. Drivability is more to do with the shape of the power/torque curves when displayed on a graph.

For a road car having good torque in the rpm range where you do most of your driving is more important than having peak power close to redline.  A "Stage 1" tune is an entry level tune that does not require any component upgrades. The stock intercooler, turbo, injectors etc are all capable of handling the extra power. If you would like 50% more power (which is possible) things start getting serious and component upgrades will be necessary to handle the extra power and keep the car safe.  That's when it starts getting expensive !!! 

Cheers...