Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy9877

New here, need education

Hi all, 

Jimmy from Auckland here and I have never owned a BMW.

I really like the design of the F06/F13 6 series but I don't know whether I should buy a 640i or go for the more powerful 650i. I would prefer to get the more powerful one but not at the cost of reliability.

My brother has a N54 335i Coupe and I believe he's at stage 2 with a upgraded charge pipe, catless down pipe and a upgraded intercooler. I have no idea with how much HP he's at, but would like to achieve similar HP if I were to buy one.

From what I've read online, it seems like the N63 engine in the 50i models are complete nightmares. Is this true for the updated N63TU/N63B44O1 from 2013 onwards as well? Or are they better?

I don't plan on tuning the car if I get the 650i, but if I get the 640i, I do want to get a upgraded charge pipe and go stage 1 but I doubt going stage 2. Is there a big noticeable difference between stage 1 and stage 2?

So with reliability in mind, should I go for a stock 650i or go for the 640i and go stage 1?

Also is the mechanical insurance worth buying? Will the stage 1 tune void it?

I will not be taking the car for tracking.

Edited by Jimmy9877

The Pre facelift 650i (small wheel on idrive is easiest way to tell) with the pre-TU n63 is likely to be a money pit. The N63TU is allegedly better but an N55 640i, even in Stage 1 tune is likely to be more reliable. Nice looking cars though