Sign in to follow this  
Jun

My quick take of a BMW i4

We had a quick look at the i4 e40.  Here is our quick take on it:

- it's probably one of the best/better EV in the market as a drivers car.  However compared to our M5, it's very much softer even on sports mode.  I am not sure if the i4 had adaptive suspension, I think all M spec version should be fitted with one.  It did feel stiffer on sports mode.

- acceleration from standstill is really good even if its just e40, in fact for me 300-400 hp is what I prefer for a street car.  More than that is not fun in the public road, so the 340hp e40 variant is on the sweet spot.  However I can say beyond 80km/h the M5 V10 is very much competitive or better

- it's interior is great, the screen is great (not as fluid as a Tesla though). The seats (it didn't have the most expensive optioned seat) are actually better than a normal car but its actually not as nice as the old leather seats of the M5 both feel and support (however I got my M5 seats dialed to me already, so maybe if I spend more time on i4 it could be just as good)

- the individual dravit grey paint is so much better over brooklyn grey (there was a M440i beside it on with this color), this is probably the best color for a i4, M4, M3 or 4 series. The big kidney livable with this color.

- hans zimmer sound on the i4 for me actually makes it better, unlike other EVs which has no sound or very cheesy sound.  But I guess it's no substitute for ICE sound, especially from a V10 NA

- the driving assistance is good, or I like it as it seems to be less intrusive.  btw the AEB got tested, a ute cut us off and slowed down aggressively.  Not sure why, because we on an EV or BMW... or both.

I think i4 e40 is a great choice if you want a drivers car EV, the e40 is also very efficient close to a Tesla Model 3.  However it's very costly, at almost $120k for the example we tested.  For $120k, you can get a M5 ($40k) and Tesla Model Y ($80k - $9 subsidy) plus some change.  If you had $120k, which would you pick?

P.S. Thank you to G. Yang of Continental cars BMW, he is great to chat with.

IMG_9108.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

976EEE0F-87F0-4770-959D-F20E12A2AA19.JPG

Edited by Jun
fix photo ordering, typo
  • Like 6