Sign in to follow this  
pandylin

E90 Sedan Rear right window regulator broken.

Hi everyone!

My e90 right rear window regulator seems to be fully shot now I put the window down and now it cannot go up at all. when it was starting to fail it'd stop halfway so I could atleast push the window back up with my hands but now its fully stuck in between the door.

Does anyone know the rough price for replacing the regulator from a mechanic and which mechanic to recommend? 

or if the job is relatively easy to do DIY where is the best place to source the part.

• Like 1

Hey

I'm writing this as I had the left rear window regulator go on my e87 this week and this was the post that came up when I searched.  The answer to the questions are it's a super easy job, It took me about an hour all up. I watched two YouTube video's along the way which I'll link below.

Tools required

• PH2 phillips
  • Torx 20
  • Torx 25 (to swap the motor over)
  • 10mm socket.
  • Universal multi tool (flat blade screw driver)

Optional tools

• Trim tools
  • A pick

Step 1.  I pulled out the old regulator and confirmed it's life was over (details in the video).

Step 2.  I did a bit of a search online and found options via the UK or locally.  I ended up ordering a new regulator from SD European in Hamilton for around $150 NZD. It also has a 2 year warrenty.   https://shop.sdeuropean.co.nz/products/bmw-e87-1-series-2003-to-2012-left-rear-window-regulator-lifter-teilex-51357138467-sd81460?_pos=1&_sid=c4b963a44&_ss=r They promised overnight shipping and it did turn up overnight! (Photo below of the old and the new next to each other).   I didn't trust tape to hold up the window so I put a towel in the door and lowered the glass onto it while i waited for the part to arrive (with the car in the garage out of the rain).

Step 3. I enlisted an apprentice for the install.  We installed the new regulator, including swapping the motor over.

Step 4. We had to do the reset procedure for the anti trap thing.  It was possible to move the window up & down without the switch installed by using the drivers door controls, but while the anti trap thing was angry it would only move the window a couple of inches at a time.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the window switch plugged back in.  We couldn't do it in the end and ended up popping the switch out of the door (and damaging one of the holder tabs in the process). 

How to replace the regulator  

How to reset the anti-trap error (no fault codes in ISTA for this, just the error on the dash)

Window regulator.jpg