Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Shkoda

In with Skoda at moment, confirmed they will be installing its third waterpump and thermostat as good will. Customer service from Skoda seems good so far...

I found Giltrap to be good with their service in general, and their part prices reasonable when i used to have my VW CC. 

• Like 1

Yeah I spoke too soon :D 

Giltrap are good, Skoda came back and said 50% parts and labour...

Why yes! I would love to pay for 50% of your dumbass part that still under warranty and 100% your problem and not mine haha. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Yeah I spoke too soon :D 

Giltrap are good, Skoda came back and said 50% parts and labour...

Why yes! I would love to pay for 50% of your dumbass part that still under warranty and 100% your problem and not mine haha. 

Good grief. Given the typical parts mark up, that’s probably still a profit to them.

So parts warranty doesnt apply once cars out of warranty.... :) 

Does the CGA apply? Normal life of a water pump is more than 2 years….

Car owned by my company, no CGA.

Turns out Skoda are as scummy as you would expect the VW group to be, spent 4.5k on engine work now... better not sh*t itself again, if it does will just fix it myself. 

I went from BMW to VW (as an OLD school VW fan) for our family cars... Mrs has a 2006 VW Touran 2.0 FSI and I have a 2006 Touran that *was* a 2.0 FSI, but is now a 3.2 VR6 R32, manual, 4WD... from an R32 Golf...

VAG cars are sh*t of similar vintage... compared to BMW (at least E30, E34, E39 vintage) and the parts prices are WAY more, sometimes several TIMES more... SCARY more from the dealers!

I used to get BMW parts from the dealer at reasonable prices SOME of the time... but VW prices are mostly HORRENDOUS, so I tend to order them in from Spareto, Trodo or sometimes FCP.

Generally, BMW parts were decent quality. It's surprising how often genuine VAG group parts are crap and aftermarket is better.

Both are often cheaper than Toyota parts though!

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1

Didnt even make it 48hrs. 100% makes 335i's look reliable :D

364787891_10159016353087693_2752113430307243957_n.jpg

366011379_10159016241167693_4304839917484501515_n.jpg

• Sad 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, Jacko said:

Car owned by my company, no CGA.

Turns out Skoda are as scummy as you would expect the VW group to be, spent 4.5k on engine work now... better not sh*t itself again, if it does will just fix it myself. 

Are you saying you’ve spent $4.5k on it since you’ve owned it? On what? 

21 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Are you saying you’ve spent $4.5k on it since you’ve owned it? On what? 

Timing chain and waterpump/thermostat. In the US this would be covered by the class action lawsuits, in NZ... suck it up. 

Edited by Jacko

Far out. My natural suspicion of VAG products remains, pity because I thought Skoda had somehow avoided it.

Sorry to hear.

Yeah, had hoped it wasnt actually a VW as well... all the reports say they're better but proof is in the pudding.

Toyota Ractis to the rescue, which cost less to buy than what Ive spent on Skoda repairs, and the  300,000km BMW as daily for a bit (as its way less of a ballache!)

On 8/4/2023 at 1:56 PM, Jacko said:

So parts warranty doesnt apply once cars out of warranty.... :) 

Thats BS, all parts should be covered by a parts warranty (usually 2 years, unlimited KM) if fitted by trained technicians, whether the car is under warranty or not. 

• Like 3

The Ebbett Skoda site does mention that. ^^^

On 8/6/2023 at 2:28 PM, Jacko said:

Didnt even make it 48hrs. 100% makes 335i's look reliable :D

364787891_10159016353087693_2752113430307243957_n.jpg

366011379_10159016241167693_4304839917484501515_n.jpg

sorry to hear about the trouble its been giving you, is that out at woodhill? Im out there fairly often riding my bike, might see you there sometime!

Just got it back again, again, hose blew off top of waterpump... fingers are crossed.

1 hour ago, elias said:

sorry to hear about the trouble its been giving you, is that out at woodhill? Im out there fairly often riding my bike, might see you there sometime!

Yup woodhill, Im fairly regularly up there trying to not fall off. It shat itself right when I got into carpark, missed out on hero dirt...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Just got it back again, again, hose blew off top of waterpump... fingers are crossed.

Yup woodhill, Im fairly regularly up there trying to not fall off. It shat itself right when I got into carpark, missed out on hero dirt...

ah thats unfortunate, yeah its good fun trying to stay on the bike