Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

E30 engine swap

Can anyone tell me if a facelift 320i engine with manual box from a 4 door, will swap into a pre facelift 320i automatic coupe and vice versa, any pitfalls to look out for? I'm setting up a car for the E30 series, and want to swap the motors and boxes so I end up with 2 cars still, a manual coupe, and auto 4 door. Any advice appreciated.

why swap them? weight savings? the FL 320 only makes more power because of its engine mgmnt i THINK..but changing a PRE FL m20 from Ljet would be a massive pain in ass

I prefer the coupe look for a race car over the 4 door. I guess the other option would be to just change the gearboxes?

Edited by Silver Fox

I prefer the coupe look for a race car over the 4 door. I guess the other option would be to just change the gearboxes?

much easier/more sensible! although an 5spd -> auto swap sounds scary...why not try pick up a manual conversion kit?

Guest Andrew

That gearbox from the facelift 320 will probably not work in the prefacelift one.