Sign in to follow this  
E63

Which tire for E63 and why?

I'm in need of some tires for a new set of wheels. I need to replace 2 fairly bald PS4's and I would like to get rid of the Arevo sitting on one of the rears.

I'm really keen on these Continentals. They seem to review well and the price isn't bad. However, I see a lot of excitement around Michelin PS range. I read that the XL's can be noisy, is that true? My car currently wears Potenza runflats, so it's likely that whatever I get I'll be fairly happy with. Another contender is Falken's FK510, which I currently have sitting in my cart on Hyper Drive. I'd be keen with Advan 103's as well but can't seem to find them for a good price.

I checked out Bridgestone, pretty disappointing price-wise over there. Tony's only seem to stock Bridgestone so they'll only price match Bridgestone.

What do you guys reckon? Are Michelins really as good as people say they are?

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.33.12 AM.png

The MaxContact are a mid range tire, a tier below the PS5. SportContact 6/7 would be the equivalent so would probably take the Michelins. Apparently the 5 wears much better than the 4 did. Will look mint on the Alpinas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E63 said:

What do you guys reckon? Are Michelins really as good as people say they are?

Yes. They will give you the best combination of performance, feel, ride comfort, noise, wear. Other brands may better them in specific areas, but not overall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balancerider said:

The MaxContact are a mid range tire, a tier below the PS5. SportContact 6/7 would be the equivalent so would probably take the Michelins. Apparently the 5 wears much better than the 4 did. Will look mint on the Alpinas

I’ve read that part about the 5 wearing better somewhere. Might’ve been you.

Is there any reason not to go for XL’s? Everything I’ve read just says they have stronger side wall.

21 hours ago, E63 said:

I’ve read that part about the 5 wearing better somewhere. Might’ve been you.

Is there any reason not to go for XL’s? Everything I’ve read just says they have stronger side wall.

The XL is mainly a quick reflection of the load rating I think - (I see those ones are both 100Y) so I doubt the sidewall rigidity will be dramatically different. It seems the PS4 in that size was rated 96Y which is where the XL comes in on the 5

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

The XL is mainly a quick reflection of the load rating I think - (I see those ones are both 100Y) so I doubt the sidewall rigidity will be dramatically different. It seems the PS4 in that size was rated 96Y which is where the XL comes in on the 5

Makes sense.

I reckon I’m gonna be patient for a good deal, seeing as they’re for a set of spare wheels. Hyper had a great deal on Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5’s, but they didn’t have a good size for the rears. I’m loathe to get tyres that are narrower than factory, because I reckon a car like the 6er is probably pretty carefully engineered for a balance of comfort and performance. Comfort is important!