Sign in to follow this  
JayKayNZ

Power steering and brake hydraulic fluid

Hi guys

I have an e32 735i that I've been slowly upgrading over the last few months (I'll post a pic in a tick). Here's a link.

Has anyone ever had to top up their power steering/brake fluid? I know mine has a slow leak, and needs a top up every 3 months or so. However in the manual it says "Do not use brake fluid". Its kinda weird because there is a seperate brake reservoir in addition to the powersteering/brake fluid reservoir. Repco in Remuera don't stock any other hydraulic fluid that isn't called brake fluid.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by JayKayNZ

I am guessing that your car has the hydraulic brake booster. It gets its pressure from the power steering pump, which also sends pressure to the steering rack (obviously!) You did not say whether the fluid being lost was the powersteering/booster fluid, or the brake fluid- this you must determine! The brake fluid will be topped up on the master cylinder, in the clear reservoir on top of the master cylinder, the other has a reservoir somewhere else, I can't remember where on an E32. Brake fluid can be bought anywhere, the power steering fluid can be bought from a BMW dealer, I am not sure if it is the same as ordinary power steering fluid (which is just automatic trans fluid) so unless someone can confirm, it would be best to play it safe and buy the correct fluid from a BMW dealer.

Cool thanks for that. It is the powersteering/booster fluid that is leaking, with the reservoir at the front passenger side. Dang I suppose that means I have to wait till tuesday till I can get this sorted. Unless anyone knows what fluid is used?

If it is a red fluid it is most likely auto trans fluid. Otherwise probably best to get it froma BMW dealer.