bimmerguy

Two error codes and four failed emission tests

Make: BMW

Model: 116i

Year: 2010

Chassis: E87

Hey, fellow bimmers,

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!

I bought an OBDII diagnostic scanner a few days ago and scanned my car for the first time. I got the following error codes.

============1==============
DTC C947
Raw code: C947
ECU: SRS/Airbag
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non-volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

============2==============

DTC ABEA

=======================================

The following emission tests failed (see the below attached screenshot).

Weirdly, I have no warning lights or any sort of light indicating this on the dashboard. I have read that damaged catalytic converters can affect performance and lead to carbon buildup. I'd like to get anything critical fixed now than later before something else breaks and I end up getting a big bill. What are your thoughts on the above?

Thank you for your time and patience.

~VD

IMG-6424.PNG

Edited by bimmerguy

Clear the Airbag fault and see if it comes back. Looks like an old stored coms code. If it was a concern your airbag light would be on. 

Second stuff for emissions is pointless generic stuff. It doesn't mean any of the sensors have failed. You would need to check the live data for them and check if they are within tolerance. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:37 AM, Driftit said:

Clear the Airbag fault and see if it comes back. Looks like an old stored coms code. If it was a concern your airbag light would be on. 

Second stuff for emissions is pointless generic stuff. It doesn't mean any of the sensors have failed. You would need to check the live data for them and check if they are within tolerance. 

I tried clearing it using the car scanner app but was detected again. Seems like the scanner app was unsuccessful in effectively clearing the NVM where the code stored on the ECU. I'll just get it looked at by my mechanic next service,

Edited by bimmerguy

Sometimes the generic odb readers have trouble clearing codes with BMWs. Especially if they are a cheaper copy. I have about a dozen of them and the only reliable one I have is the bimmergeeks one and their software. Only issue is it doesn't work with anything not BMW. 

There should be someone nearby that has something that can help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

Sometimes the generic odb readers have trouble clearing codes with BMWs. Especially if they are a cheaper copy. I have about a dozen of them and the only reliable one I have is the bimmergeeks one and their software. Only issue is it doesn't work with anything not BMW. 

There should be someone nearby that has something that can help. 

Got a few bimmers at my workplace. I'll check with them and see.

Edited by bimmerguy