Sign in to follow this  
Idaten Speed

E36 bad earth or starter problems

My 318 manual E36 just recently showed this problem after driving short distance:

Once the car was parked and turned off i got in roughly 15-20 min and wanted to drive off and the starter makes a repeated ticking noise however, the lights keep flickering the electric are playing up and the clock resets itself. So after repaetedly turnign the key to try to start the car it will all over sudden go. THis happenf 2 month ago.

Next day i took it to my mates garage to get lowered we accidentally fropped the car just a little bit in the front and the car starting no problems etc. This was fine for two months.

Then out of the blue it started again. BMW thinks its a bad earth, what you guys think? DOnt want to take it to BMW as I wanna learn about the car myself and also safe cash.

Except for the bat in the trunk, any one know how to check for the other earth spots under the bonnet? Any imput is much appreciated. cheers

What your describing sounds like the battery has a bad conection. Its a bit weird its only done it a few times over a long perriod.

Get a volt meter and test for volts drop from the battery earth to the starter (earth)while cranking. I cant see how the starter could have a bad earth but it has happened to me before. Do the same with the positve side (but to the starter positive wire on the starter side of the solenoid) Check all earth leads.

Hope that can help point you in the right direction. Im sure other people will give some other ideas.

Firstly clean both the battery terminals and the terminal clamps inside with a proper terminal brush. You can normally buy these from repco or supacheap etc. Or use a light grit waterpaper. Smear a small amount of petroleum grease on each terminal before reassembly to help prevent corrosion reforming. Remove the earth lead from where it bolts to the body and clean both surfaces and replace using a little of the same grease on both surfaces.

Check the earth strap to the engine from the body, (this is normally near the bottom of the motor near the front and connects to the chassis rail), remove the bolts holding it on both sides and wire brush both the lead contact and the body or engine contact points and replace again using a little grease.

The other earth points on the wiring loom are scattered around the car and not easy to get to without removing various bits, so try these points first.

There is an electronic copy of the Bentley manual floating around somewhere so download that and find out the positions of the earth points if the above does not help. I have a copy if you can't find it, but can't remember where I got it... old age!!! ^_^