Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Car wont stay in 1st or 3rd gear

Hey Guys,

I crashed my bmw into the back of a honda (Blasted hondas!!!!) and now, among a vareity of other problems, the car doesnt stay in 1st or 3rd gear. Now, I managed to shatter an engine mount in the crash, and the engine slipped about an inch or two forward off the mount and was basically hanging in mid air. I managed to jack the engine back up onto the mount, but it is still about 3 CM off from exact position.

When I crashed, I felt the gearbox move forward. Am I screwed, or does it just need to be repostioned? If I hold the car in gear, it works fine, but it slips out if im not moving. No horrible sounds, though. (I had to drive it off the road)

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by ipwnyou

I'll assume for the moment you havn't bent the chassis as that should be your first concern.

I'd say as soon as you get the motor repositioned properly your problem will go away - it is only 1st and third as everything has moved forward and the shift lever is probably resting against the trans tunnel - vibration would then knock it out of gear.

my guess is the tranny is fine, but you need to sort out bent chassis, motor mounts, bent steering or suspension components and prob get a wheel alignment.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

OK Cool. Just as a note, Reverse and 5th gear work perfectly...and they're on the same line. But I dont know what it looks like down there, so no idea heh.

Guest Andrew

shift linkage with have bent forwards - get the engine back on its mounts then new shifter linkages

The rear end of the shift link support may have fallen out of the hole in the body during the move forward and may not have gone back into the hole when you shifted it back. It may be jambed on the bracket with the hole in it, rather than seated in the hole.