Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Worth repairing?

Short story short I wasnt watching the road and ploughed a honda. This is what I did to my baby :(

Just want to know, from those shots, is it worth getting it fixed, or investigated further, or should I just cut my losses and move on?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

post-2-1149648091.jpg

Engine came so far forward that it smashed into my radiator fan cover thingie. (im sure it has a name)

post-2-1149648263.jpg

Has it bent the chassis rail??

If not then it may be worth fixin'.

looks as though it was a tidy one before the hit!

Shot from inside behind where the right hand light mount would be...my alarm was in that round hole and ended up in my battery bay (I moved the battery to the boot a few weeks ago)

post-2-1149648349.jpg

Drivers side door and pannel damage...the door bent when i opened it to get out the pannel that was pushed in behind the hinge and bent the door a bit...can see a bit better in the next pic

post-2-1149648652.jpg

Has it bent the chassis rail??

If not then it may be worth fixin'.

looks as though it was a tidy one before the hit!

Not sure about the chassis rail as I dont really know what that is ;)

I have quite a few pics though.

And yeah, it was my pride and joy, spent so much time with it. Check this thread out:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=6051

Guest Spargo

I've seen "better" crashes get scrapped, and worse get repaired. Its up to you.

Its "only" a 3-1-tiddler though.

Haha, I notice a brochure about insurance on the floor of the car in one of the photos in the link to pics of your car before the accident. Hope you used it!

depends if you really want to keep the car or would prefer to move onto a different e30.

No insurance, only 3rd party - Dont care though, I want to know if its physically possible to fix or will require too much work...but if its just pannels and bumpers and paint I dont care.

Ouch that really sucks. At least you only have yourself to blame!

I'd get a new car and start again. It looks like most of the stuff you upgraded in this car will still be fine (eg interior and wheels) and can be installed in a new e30. You can get them for next to nothing on trademe; I doubt your repair costs will cost less than buying a 320i on trademe.

honda reprezent.

at least your cool sh*t, ie kit, wheels, clears etc arent rooted. Tis a shame, really liked the look of your e30. See how much to fix, otherwise, chuck all your cool sh*t on another mint FL, preferbly weiss. Wills? Dont know if the skirts will fit though?

I would have thought it must have bent the chassis rail to smash the engine mount like that.

I feel for you dude, geta a couple of quotes. Nothing like a profesionals oppinion.

IMO - its an old, underpowered BMW.

Maybe its time to let go and start a new journey with a 6 cyl car?

Learn about why the BMW inline 6 has been so well regarded for so long.

You should be able to part it out for *some* return, but really, I don't think its worth repair. ymmv.

Keep the wheels though!

You money, your choice.

If you were good with your hands I'd say fix it. If there is no chassis damage (and that is possible) then $500-600 worth of parts, two or three weekends of stripping and sanding, $400 or so of paint and another day in a weekend putting it back together and you'll be done. Even a chassis straighten could be doable depending on how bad.

Go see a panel beater.

Front bumper $120

Front Guard $50

Front door - pay to be panel beated or its about $50 for a new one. I got one for $15 the other day - score!

Headlights - $50ish

Front valance - $60

Motor mounts $100ish new plus rubber mounts $80

Bonnet - dunno - say $50-100

Total panels/parts say $650

You could fix it for less than a grand if you do alot yourself and the chassis is sweet.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Thanks for the replies guys, I went out and investigated it again last night, and I could not see any other damage to the chassis rails, any other buckling or flaked paint from warping. I jacked the car right up and took a good look, and couldnt spot a thing. I'm no expert, though, so I could have overlooked. I think i'll get it checked out by a professional - does anyone know a mobile mechanic that could take a look at this sort of thing? Car is a bastard to move...thing weighs a ton and isnt drivable at the moment.

I have been considering just getting another E30, but the hassle involved in parting out the car is something I just cant deal with at the moment - just gone though a rather lengthy breakup and lost a bit of stuff, and im in the middle of trying to buy a house among the stresses of the new position at work. I'd rather just pay someone to fix it, or tell me it cant be fixed and just sell it. The reason I dont really want to go to a 6 cyl is the gas - that car takes me to Kerikeri and back on half a tank of gas, with enough for 3 - 4 days of around town driving.

I also dont want to be ripped off with higher than normal mechanic costs because its a BMW - I'd prefer to pay someone a few hundy and a box of beers to throw some new parts on it for me.

Anyway, i'm in the market for another E30 now I suppose, I would prefer that colour as I love that white, and all the bits on it are white..but if anyone spots a stocker that would look mint with those wheels / skirts / spoiler / front lip / lowering kit, let me know!

Thanks

Once again, Wil (topless) has offered to give me a helping hand :D

Thanks again guys.