Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

Locking mechanism

When I first bought my car approx a year ago I would unlock the car just using my alarm remote which would lock/unlock the car as well as arming/disarming the alarm.

Although 2 or 3 months ago when I pushed the alarm button it would only arm/disarm the car but wouldn't lock/unlock it.

So i changed the alarm fuction to valet mode and it worked as it had when I bought it for a couple of weeks before crapping out.

So for the past month i've been opening the car by unlocking the door with the key except sometimes it only unlocks my drivers door and other times it unlocks all doors. Sometimes it doesn't unlock anything, the key just turns in the door.

For example this morning I went to the petrol station to fill up but couldn't get my petrol cap open because it wouldn't centrally unlock, forcing me to drive to work on the red light.

I took it to an alarm place to see if it was anything to with dodgy wires but lo and behold it worked perfectly the whole time it was there.

Any of your ideas as to what is wrong would be much appreciated. My car is a 87' m325i.

Sorry about the ramble but I thought you may as well know the full story.

Cheers Mavrick

1. There is a white mechanism inside the boot behind the petrol filler which if you pull the locking part on it, it will unlock the petrol filler.

2. Look inside you front right kick panel and take the speaker out, under the speaker inside the 'wall,' there will be a plastic cover leading to where the Central locking control unit is, have a looksy at that, in a previous e30 of mine this whole unit melted. Causing the same predicament that you have.

3. If not with out looking at it, testing power to the unit etc i would recommend going to a reg'd auto sparky

i have been told by the dealer a common prob was the fuel motor crapping out..if thats any help!