Sign in to follow this  
Holcal

E84 X1 rear diff repair kit

Hi all, The rear diff on my partners E84 X1 S Drive 18i is noisy with what sounds like maybe a carrier bearing noise. Does anyone know of the best place to get a repair kit for these in NZ? I have started looking around for a kit, and will be also looking at a replacement second hand unit also but thought someone here is bound to know the best guys to talk to. I am in Palmy.

Given the rate at which these fail a second hand one is a big gamble. Kits are probably around, not sure what type of diff your car used but places like https://www.difflab.com.au/ sell various ones. Obviously you need varying amount of tools and skill to replace them yourself.

Kane Barrie is the guy to talk to, he rebuilds a lot of them. https://www.facebook.com/p/Kayne-Barrie-Motorsport-Ltd-100063718410238/

I got my kit from Ebay UK. The hard thing about rebuilding it was not having any specs to go off for the pinion bearing preload, and the crownwheel and pinion backlash. BMW does not list those details anywhere. Got there in the end though. 

Screenshot_20240114_220204_eBay.jpg

Edited by F10er

Cheers guys. I had heard that they do fail a bit. I'll check out those links.  Really appreciate it. 

The E36 was the last proper DIY friendly diff BMW made, sh*t design followed by sh*t bearings from then on out. I think Kane Barrie rebuilds them with taper roller bearings instead those cost cutted ball bearings which are generally only good for 100,000km. You gotta be able to suck out and drain the oil at regular intervals also to keep them going once rebuilt.