Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

Bmw M535i E28

Not too rare. A few in NZ, but that ones a fairly good price, Id pay maybe 9 at the most for a mint one, but ive seen them go for 15! Same as E30 M325i in pricing.

V nice cars though, leather sports seats, LSD dogleg gbox, kit, etc etc, basically the same options as the m325i, but these actually came from the M plant in germany, vs the E30s being a NZ spec'd up 325i.

Itll be either High comp, (218hp) or low comp (180hp), a freer exhaust does wonders on them. Anything else you wanna know?

i have one. i want my seats back. f**k. wish id put more thought into it - oh well ill wait till i find some seats to stick back into this

i have one. i want my seats back. f**k. wish id put more thought into it - oh well ill wait till i find some seats to stick back into this

race buckets and cage!

Guest Spargo

E30s being a NZ spec'd up 325i.

So they put the black headliner in at the NZ BMW factory did they?

So they put the black headliner in at the NZ BMW factory did they?

Sam, you know Sparkle, what he doesn't know, he soon makes up.

Sam, you know Sparkle, what he doesn't know, he soon makes up.

so negative grant.

Im not actually sure on that one sam, please enlighten me, the point I was getting at was spec'd up vs m plant.

yes the M in the e28 actually means more than some trim too....

e28535,e28M535,e28M5

Sparkle

Die

please?

baha, what a response to voicing my opinion of an E28 vs E30, you guys make me lol. True story. Love you all.

Guest Spargo

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT

The E28 M535i is PURELY COSMETIC. Suspension and LSD aside.

Get of the crack fan boys, or show me some M (as in motosport, not m-tecknik) parts on it that i've never ever seen before - hell it will be a treat for everyone.

The E12 M535i is exactly the same. Barring some which had the M88 (not the S38) in it.

325i's that sat on the lot past a certain date were given MOST m325i options, the only one they didn't get was the black headliner. You know how I know this? I've seen botha white one and a red one exactly like this - I nearly bought a red one from team McMillan. And yet still more proof, if you run them on BMW's cool vin decoder, none of them come up with the "NZ Motorsport package" - specced here.

So sparkle, there was a total of zero M325i's built here.

Edited by Spargo

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT

The E28 M535i is PURELY COSMETIC. Suspension and LSD aside.

Get of the crack fan boys, or show me some M (as in motosport, not m-tecknik) parts on it that i've never ever seen before - hell it will be a treat for everyone.

The E12 M535i is exactly the same. Barring some which had the M88 (not the S38) in it.

325i's that sat on the lot past a certain date were given MOST m325i options, the only one they didn't get was the black headliner. You know how I know this? I've seen botha white one and a red one exactly like this - I nearly bought a red one from team McMillan. And yet still more proof, if you run them on BMW's cool vin decoder, none of them come up with the "NZ Motorsport package" - specced here.

So sparkle, there was a total of zero M325i's built here.

interesting.

yes, the m535i is only as cosmetic as the NZ M325i. Im not dening that, from what Ive found though the M535i were built in the M plant and were the same spec in europe and here. Whereas the E30 m325i wasnt built in the M plant, and was different for each countries other than us and UK, (please correct me if im wrong), I only assumed that the NZ "m"325i was chucked together in NZ, where were ours put together Sam?

Here is what is stated about the E28 M535i in the book "BMW M Series: The Complete Story":

"This latest machine - only the second saloon to carry the M-series identification, but in reality nothing more than an exercise in badge engineering."

It mentions nothing about it coming from the M factory at all, and I soubt it was from there as later in the book in the appendix, when the production runs are listed, the E28 535i has an * beside it, and footnote reads "a rebadged 535i only".

Cheers

Grant

Further in the book BMW M-Series and Performance Specials is says (about the E28 535i):

"the second generation m535i was not really a Motorsport product.....the E28 M535i was only the top of the range 5 series"

Later it states "...and the fact that the cars were built on the regular factory production line (rather than by the Motorsport division)...".

Cheers

Grant

In another book - "BMW M-Series" it states:

"Many observers opined that therefore the M535i (E28) was not a true M car.

Later it says "The M535i is less a product of M Power, and far more a product of M Technics" and "..enthusiasts react in horror at the mention of the E28 M535i in the same breath as other M cars"

Cheers

Grant

so your point being grant???

I agreed that they are both fairly cosmetic. The book may not say they werent produced in the M plant, but it dosent say they werent.

Whereas, books that I have sitting on my coffee table do.

"Dream Machines - BMW"

"Again the hand of motorsport boss Jochen Neerspach can be seen because it was he who recognised the potential of using parts in the smaller, and therefore lighter, 5 series bodyshell"

"BMW 5 Series, The complete story"

"The m535i had been prepared by BMWs motorsport division..."

so your point being grant???

I agreed that they are both fairly cosmetic. The book may not say they werent produced in the M plant, but it dosent say they werent.

"Dream Machines - BMW"

"Again the hand of motorsport boss Jochen Neerspach can be seen because it was he who recognised the potential of using parts in the smaller, and therefore lighter, 5 series  bodyshell"

"BMW 5 Series, The complete story"

"The m535i had been prepared by BMWs motorsport division..."

My point is, that contrary to your earlier statement, that the E28 M535i was built by the Motorsport division, that fact is that they are not.

The E12 M535i, on the otherhand was.

Like the E30 M325i, and countless other M badged cars since, they are predominantly marketing exercises (not withstanding the fact that they often do have some goodies on them).

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

Seems our quotes clash then.

From the information ive found out about these models is that the E12 and E28 M535i were built in the M plant by the M division, regardless if they are crap or not. Then the E28 M535i was replaced by the M5.

Ill do some more research and see what I can find out.

The book may not say they werent produced in the M plant, but it dosent say they werent.

Actually, on reading more closely the first book I quoted does say that the M535i was not built by the Motorsport division (earlier in the book, in the history of the Motorsport division).

It says about the E28 M535i:

"...were always manufactured in BMW's main production line".

I have a large bookcase here full of the BMWCC library books, I bet I could find numerous other books stating the fact that the E28 M535i was made on the standard production line.

Cheers

Grant

BMW M5 and M535i (1979)

Whenever we talk about sports saloon, M5 is always the first label we would think of. Since its birth in 1984, it has been recognized as the benchmark of sports saloon. M5 was not the first sports saloon, but it successfully turned sports saloons from special editions to a sustainable business case. From E28 to the latest E60 M5, 4 generations ran almost non-stop during the past 20 years. It is the purest bloodline in the sports saloon world.

M535i E12 (1979-81)

To introduce the M5, we must first go back to 1979. The forerunner of M5 was the 1979 M535i. It was based on the first generation 5-series (E12) saloon and modified by the Motorsport department of BMW. By transplanting the 3453cc inline-6 from 635CSi, BMW created a saloon capable of 218 horsepower, 130 mph and 0-60 mph in 7.3 seconds. That kind of performance was previously unheard for a medium-size saloon. In 3 years, a total of 1410 units were sold.

M535i E28 (1984-87)

When the E12 was upgraded to E28 5-series, the M535i was also renewed. Massive aerodynamic kits and upgraded suspensions improved its appearance and dynamics, but the 3430cc engine kept horsepower unchanged. Still, at the time Autocar magazine praised its good road manner - fine handling, supple ride, accurate steering and of course, that smooth and flexible straight-6 that characterized all contemporary BMWs. Sales surged to 9483 units because the car was built in the regular production line instead of the inefficient Motorsport department.

Ok I am confused...this info is from the web but hey,anyone can write anything.Doesnt it suggest above that the E28 had a 218 hosepower engine,or does it mean the E28 M535 had the same 3430 cc M30 as a "normal" 535i

The next book I looked at, and probably the definitive book on BMW "Unbeatable BMW" by Jeremy Walton, it states about the E28 M535i:

"...was criticised for wearing an M Badge.....hitting 9,500 units on the mainstream production line".

Sparkle, you want me to keep looking, or are you happy to admit that they were not Motorsport built cars?

Cheers

Grant

Doesnt it suggest above that the E28 had a 218 hosepower engine,or does it mean the E28 M535 had the same 3430 cc M30 as a "normal" 535i

It does (suggest this), and the E28 M535i does (have a 218hp engine).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is a crap car, I think that they are ok, but were not, built by BMW's Motorsport division.

Cheers

Grant

you are right, theyre not built on the m line obviously. But were designed by the m dept and registered as M cars. Whereas the E30s are not?

They also came out with the low comp (8:1) 180hp engine as well.