Sign in to follow this  
Neil McCauley

E8x/9x F2x/3x Brembo swap

In a fortunate turn of events, both Dogballs and I got the bits we wanted from SJ's set of F series big blues for sale.

I've done brakes plenty of times but this will actually be the first time I've swapped calipers out, so I have some questions about the bleed / refill process as I've heard the brembos can be a pain to bleed completely.

I'll only be running the fronts as the rears on an E90 are firmly in the way too hard basket - that or spending moonbeams on having the calipers converted to axial mount. Some quick maths on piston sizing shows that braking bias won't be affected very much, the difference being 10,202mm^2 stock compared to 10,048mm^2 for the new blues, which is a 0.4% shift in brake bias to the rear.

1) Check the bleed nipples firstly - I've heard they are prone to seizing - are these an off the shelf / generic item if I need to replace?

2) Bleeding calipers from empty - I guess the process is the same as bleeding but will obviously take longer to fully clean the system out?

3) The E90's that could be retrofitted with the 6/2piston BMW Performance yellows also had coding added to the VO as "+SPBR" - is this necessary at all?

4) Bleed the outer side of the calipers before the inner side?

Many thanks!

Edited by Neil McCauley