Sign in to follow this  
Mr Potato head

E60 525i battery draw

Hi about a year and a half ago i started having electrical issues, which lead to a dead battery so i got a mobile battery expert and he swapped the battery over, battery was repco all was dandy until about 2 weeks ago when that battery died completely so i took it to repco hamilton, had it tested, it came back faulty couldnt find the receipt they quoted me a new battery thats AGM bmw specific for $700+ in which the manager too quoted “thats the price of driving a bmw” 😝 anyways thank you to the kind gentleman who helped me jump start the car had a mad chat with him seemed to know alot about cars, so cheers mate if you see this!..back to the point does anyone know if these model cars have a common issue with electrical systems that have battery draw or parasitic draw would love to solve this one with the help of gentle souls of bimmersport nz any ideas would be appreciated cheers! 

Ps anyone looking for battery stay clear from repco branded batterys  i ended up buying a centurion battery from sd european hamilton awesome supplier of car parts and very helpful also purchased a ancel bd200 so will be monitoring the battery 

The e60 is particularly battery sensitive.  Bad battery - all sorts of errors, as there's a sh*t-ton of sensors, and (if I recall correctly) about 13 modules in the car?

You'll also want to check if the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) update has been completed on your e60.  It's a recall in other countries, not in NZ though!  Mega important - battery registration must be completed on installation of a new battery.  Includes capacity, date etc and tells the ECU to reset its parameters and charge for a new battery instead of an aging one.   I put in a Koba AGM and had very good experience, in my old e60 545i.  Hope that helps.  Oh, and get the biggest capacity (there's a large-size (taller) DIN88L in the preference to DIN88 (or whatever the and most cold cranking amps you can).  

Anyone that spouts 'that's the price of driving a BMW' while holding out their hand for your money is best avoided - what a f#&kknuckle.

Welcome, BTW!

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

The e60 is particularly battery sensitive.  Bad battery - all sorts of errors, as there's a sh*t-ton of sensors, and (if I recall correctly) about 13 modules in the car?

You'll also want to check if the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) update has been completed on your e60.  It's a recall in other countries, not in NZ though!  Mega important - battery registration must be completed on installation of a new battery.  Includes capacity, date etc and tells the ECU to reset its parameters and charge for a new battery instead of an aging one.   I put in a Koba AGM and had very good experience, in my old e60 545i.  Hope that helps.  Oh, and get the biggest capacity (there's a large-size (taller) DIN88L in the preference to DIN88 (or whatever the and most cold cranking amps you can).  

Anyone that spouts 'that's the price of driving a BMW' while holding out their hand for your money is best avoided - what a f#&kknuckle.

Welcome, BTW!

Thank you for your advice its appreciated! Yea i seen it somewhere that there was a recall for electrical problems on these model cars and researched if the recall included nz but no luck Also i found probable cause for battery draw on e60s is the idrive system failures as the fan possibly runs throughout the day/night will try and do more research about this cheers, and thank you