Sign in to follow this  
danutt

what should i get

its official my bimmer is getting a new camshaft and all the seals and gaskets replaced...not the head gasket coz its not needed to be tampered with

the cam specs are 254 duration on the inlet i presume and 0.352 lift

wat kind of gain?

wat will i notice? thanx again :mosh:

From what I've heard cam upgrades are only usefull as part of a proper engine mod setup, upgraded cam on its own wouldnt be that much of an improvement I would have thought, especially on an auto.

Would a new cam put even more added stress on your gearbox.

Change it to a manual already, if not - I have a fully recon'd auto for when you blow up your next box. :) some might get hte feeling I was being sarcastic, so not.

Edited by E30stz

yea how much for the box ?lol could there be a person here thatl do a manual conversion on my bimmer for me for around 1500??

are they really that much better when they are manual?

im aming to get it manual eventually but for now the camshaft is worn so why not replace with a better one so thats my thot on that and when it goes manual itl be good gonna sort suspension out after camshaft

Guest Andrew

without other changes/ECU remap - i doubt any.

Yes you WILL notice the gain will manual.

only going to get a chip to advance timing but how much would a good ecu cost? to cover a camshaft more lumpy than this one?

Guest Andrew

only going to get a chip to advance timing but how much would a good ecu cost? to cover a camshaft more lumpy than this one?

Pretty easy to install Link on your car - would run you around 1500 - 2500 depending on misc things.

Remember - it's a single cam 318 .. I really wouldn't bother.

hate to say this but just buy a manual 325i. Getting pretty cheap now, definatly better value than a bigger cam and manual conversion. Or buy a wrecked 325i (around $1000) and get all the bits from that.

and yes, autos are crappy. worse gas milage and they plenty slower.

Edited by petone

from what ive heard LINK are no longer making the LEM, but they will keep making the LINK plus. so if you want a link you might want to be quick before they sell out of LEM's.

this is only what ive heard and could be wrong but im pretty sure im right.

BTW ... the LEM is a really good ecu. ive just finished installing my link and ive been playing around with the pc link software, its awesome.

if your thinking about getting a LINK, go to their site

and download the "PC LINK" software and see what you think.

you can still get the LEM v5 on trade me.

good luck.

whats the price tag the LEM??

with fuel prices up etc i will stay with my low ks 1.8 and make it manual once the current gearbox will presumably fry :rambo:

Guest Andrew

they're all stupidly expensive, you could buy a new engine for that price.

but he still ends up with an ecu he can install on any car.

Looksie around for people selling old LEM V5 units - they be cheap as chips.

well the parts are going to cost around 900 bux and im getin labour for nothing(pays to have friends in da business ae lol)

gotta get new tyres nice wider ones and car is really straight and has low km's and new box in so yea when im done with it il post pictures

im still considering a sell if anyone is interested but proli sell round end of august if i do and the car will be mint all fixed for the next person id feel bad if anything was wrong and i sold it like that so yea any body here think theyd be kean??