Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Engine not in use

The engine in my wrecked car wont be in use for a while, I'm wondering what maintenance I could do to make sure it lasts the distance while its not running. It has been reconditioned and its a great engine, I just want to preserve it while its not in use.

How long is awhile?

keep it dry and under cover. If away for an extended period (year or more) change the oil and then pour oil down the spark plug bores into the cylinders. Every year or so give the engine a couple of rotations using a socket on the crank pulley and pour more oil down the bores.

I'm not sure, but I would make sure that the cooling system is full of fresh coolant with alot of antifreez so none of that corrodes.

both of mine have been fine...sitting outside for bout 6months, under cover

started fine first time

mmmm... yeah mines started fine each time since the accident. Spose its only been umm.. nearly 1.5 months now.

haha, ive seen an engine sit for ten plus years under cover, put new leads, plugs, oil and points on it and she was a perller! But bmw engines may be a diffrent story haha, but im sure yours will be sweet as. Just crank it over every month or so (if you can) to get oil pressure if your really worried.