Sign in to follow this  
sunmiao16

clutch or bearing?

my 95 m3, when give excess petrol and slowly release clutch to let it run into the first gear, the clutch or something makes a "gerrrrr" sound, i've been told its some bearings thats close to the clutch, is this true??

Possably the thrust bearing. does the noise sound like a rough, rumbeling noise? Usually the thrust bearing will make this noise when its worn and the clutch is let out. If it makes noise when the clutch is in, its usually the pilot/spigot bearing.

Yes they are both close to the clutch and the norm is to replace them both when the clutch is done.

Edited by Steve K-B

yeah it make the noice only when the clutch is in and only first gear...

but the clutch itself seems fine... and the noice doesn't come often unless i give a bit more gas and release the clutch slowly~ otherwise fine..

is it neccessary to replace it now?

it also might be one or more of the pressure plate diaphram springs is weakening and this can send a shudder or pulse through the pedal when the clutch is depressed.

sounds more like the release bearing though.

just monitor it. if the release bearing siezes/collapses it will stuff the pressure plate and then you will be in for a total clutch replacement, so I would remove the gearbox if it gets worse and replace both the bearings while it was open and check the clutch and replace if necessary. the clutch in the m3 should give you a large mileage if you don't abuse it on a regular basis so a bearing replacement might be all you need.

Will