Sign in to follow this  
westy

Flywheels

Does anybody have an m52 or m3 flywheel I could measure/borrow?

Alternatively does anybody know the set height ie,the distance between the crank mounting face and the pressure plate/friction face?

I need the measurement for the machinist to have one made.

Many tia.

Hi distance from crankshaft mounting face to surface where clutch plate sits on a 1995 M3 with a dual mass fly wheel is just over 42 mm.

would an m20 one fit? dont people use on the m50 swap? got a spare if that helps

How does 42mm compare to the m20 flywheel?

Do people use the m20 flywheel because the m50 doesnt work?different set heights maybe?

The Dual mass flywheel is like a giant harmonic balancer [for smoothness] They don't take to lightening very well. The M20 Flywheel will bolt on [i've done it].All 318's [e36] 325's & M3's have the same diameter ring gear [290mm] If you are getting a machinist to copy one, Borrow one from a M20. If you want one for racing ,use an Auto flexplate[for the ring gear]& a Button clutch. Note all Beemer engines are internally balanced[so as long as the flywheel is balanced neutrally] it won't affect the engine balance during a swap

I have my M3 engine sitting on the floor at the moment, you are welcome to come and measure the flywheel it if you want, not sure where you are from though. A point to note, the E36 M3 engine doesn't take kindly to a super light flywheel, I have been told 40% weight reduction maximum, apparently it upsets the operation of the vanos unit when you take all of that damping action out. I don't think the same would appliy to the M52, which had a much more basic vanos system. And as Kerry correctly pointed out, the M20 one fits too, a friend of mine fitted one to an E46 M54, so it seems all of these engines have interchangability in this area.

Edited by conrod

Briliant!

Thanks guys,apreciate it.

Pm sent.

Edited by DirtySix