Sign in to follow this  
SpidersWeb

ASE?

Hey everyone,

Just purchased my first BMW on Saturday. Its a 1989 535i and the owner told me its an 'ASE' with 280hp. Now I kind of sincerely doubt the 280hp bit, the 208hp figure for that engine seems a bit more realistic, and I doubt it'd have the '91 octane' sticker if that was the case.

However still wondering what does ASE stand for? and does my car have it?

My first guess was 'AC Schnitzer Edition' or something like that. When I google ASE I just get some mechanical training program, so if somebody could shine a little light on this it would be great :)

Thanks,

Jono

Posted Image

I thought they put the SE tag on the E39 personally. I've been wrong before.

The A is for Auto. The SE for Special Edition (in theory). So it should have some extra bits over the standard 535. I couldn't tell you what. I'm sure Brent or Paul can.

280hp, no way. Not without a lot of work on the motor. 200ish.

Congratulations.

Cheers for that.

There is nothing on the car to suggest its an 'ASE', and nothing stands out as irregular so far. So I'm going to go with 'standard 535i' for now. Thanks heaps for telling me what it stands for, was really scratching my head on that.

It was a cheapie, and I love it, but needs a lot of TLC. I have a lot of learning to do yet. Got a Haynes manual, but will keep digging for more online goodies. First job is fixing the drivers door lock solenoid, then the shudder at low revs under load, and a new stereo, and .... list goes on.

thats right A=auto , SE special equipment. like cruise control , OBC , variable wiper pressure( at speed) , premium audio with dash tweeters etc maybe even LSD . lots of other options availble .

211hp for non cat model with 9.2:1 compression or 208Hp for cat version with 9:1 compression

UK import?

SE spec 535 in britain prolly brings the car up to the sort of spec the "normal" 535 was in NZ.

I think virtually every NZ 535 in would have had the full obc,electric sunroof,etc etc.

So as Cain said A= Auto,SE = SE spec= normal NZ spec car

And rwhp on 535 manual is around 140kw

Edited by kiwi535