Sign in to follow this  
PHAT 89 BEMA

BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!

hi there, my brake warning light keep flashing so i had a look to see if one of my brake lights was out & it was the right one but the bulb was alright, it just started to leak 2 weeks ago and water got into the plug so i blow all the water out but it still doesnt want to go. is there a fuse for each side of the lights??? there is relays behind the carpet on the left could it be that?? thanks

No relays close there, One fuse for both sides. Swap bulbs side to side to see if thats your problem.

yes have done that and its not the bulb, i tested the plug with a probe and there was no power, so im wandering if its a fuse or relay? mine has relays on the left of the boot and they are for the brake light coz every time the brake lights come on it clicks

Can any one help

Use the probe and trace back down the brake wire to see if you can find the problem.

Im suprised about the relay being down the back. Does it look like an after market set up? May be for a high stop light or somthing? :huh:

There should only be one fuse for the brake lights and as one side is going, it shouldnt be that. Look for dirty contacts also. Hope this helps

yer it is a aftermarket setup but i dont think its for a high stop light coz the high stop light is pluged into the brake light wire, oh and there are 2 relays out the back. i tracked the wire as far back as i could and i couldnt see anything wrong so i just joined the left wire to the right one and now they both work but the brake warning light doesnt go away anymore :(

Just a little note, if your car was regested before 1990 it dosnt need a high stop by law.

I now if you add more current to the brake light system (ie the high stop you have) it can damage the brake light warning monitor. It draws extra current and can over heat the reed(?) switch. With the reed switch buggerd the light will stay on.

One way of fixing it should be to run a whole new possitive wire from the high stop to the stop light switch by the brake pedel... If the monitor isnt already bugged that is.

But if your going to do this, test it befor you start ripping the carpet, pannels etc out as thats a big job for a little led!

Just a thought, if you take the high stop bulb out does the brake light led go out?? :huh:

EDIT: may be thats what the relays were used for. To get round the warning light.

Edited by Steve K-B

hi, i just had a look at my brake lights 2day to seen if they were going and now only the led one is going :o i tested the brake light switch by the pedal and there's 2 wires that come out of it (one wire has power when the key is on & the other has power when the pedal is down) so can i just cut the wire that has power when the pedal is down & and join it to the back brake lights???

or is it not enuf power to run 2 bulbs?

& why does the brake lights out the back have 2 different wires?

Do you mean join the two wires and disconect the brake light swith all together?? If thats what you mean, dont do it. Your brake lights will stay on permantly.

Ahh just read it again, That wire should be conected to your brake lights! Thats what its for. Just try getting rid of the high stop and that all that relay crap. Join the orriginal wire up to the lights in parralel [sp?] See what happens. At the worst it will only blow a fuse... :P

Hi, just finished pulling all the stuff out of my boot to see why the brake lights went and found the problem :) it was this little box next to the elec aerial, water had been getting in through the aerial coz the rubber is missing so its got this big space around the aerial & yer it had been getting in to this box, I opened the box and its got heaps of blown circuits where the water had been making them touch & its smell like smoke, just wanted to know what this box is called so I could buy a new one?

Oh & I found what the relays at the back were for, someone had made a trailer plug for the lights, they must have wanted to put a toe ball on it but they never got around to put the toe ball on lol

If any one could help me find out what this box is called it would be a great help

On the box it’s got

Lampenkontrollgerat 12v-

1 375 909

Made in Germany

Kennzeichenbeleuchtung 12v-5w

Bremslicht 12v-21w schublicht 12v-5w/10w

ke 54 58l 58r kal kar kkl

54l 54r 58l1 58r1 31 58kl 54kl

& On the back it got a number: 92322

I would have taken a pic but my sister took my camera lol

Thanks

Anania

:)

That box is part of the check system, the panel above the rear view mirror. I have several spare, that is if I can find one.. :wacko:

Thats the lamp failure control module, - I have 1 listed on Trademe auction 62956215 if interested

Cheers

:)

Thats the lamp failure control module, - I have 1 listed on Trademe auction 62956215 if interested

Cheers

sweet would you sell it for $20 & does this have any think to do with central locking??

sweet would you sell it for $20 & does this have any think to do with central locking??

Yea OK 20 bucks -will ammend the price, & no, nothing to do with c/locking -that is controlled by a module at the bottom of the drivers side kick panel aperture. Does your c/locking not work? -These modules can fail -I have sold a few.

Yea OK 20 bucks -will ammend the price, & no, nothing to do with c/locking -that is controlled by a module at the bottom of the drivers side kick panel aperture. Does your c/locking not work? -These modules can fail -I have sold a few.

sweet ill push the buy now, & yer my central locking just went one day lol & yer ive looked at that module and it looks ok but i tested the wires that go to the C/L module and there was no power to any of the wires, oh & the fuse is not blowin, do you have any ideas on what could be the problem?