Sign in to follow this  
Ged

Wierd noise and feeling when braking

:huh:

hello again.

Driving an E36 1994 convertible.

Since about 5 days ago I've noticed a thud ( feel it rather than hear it) when I apply the brakes to slow down. Not all the time but increasing enough to notice it around 70 to 80% now.

The car has the usual squeaks and rattles and bilstein shocks ( originals).

Cruising along, start to apply the brakes and I get this short but audible thud through the car body. I wouldn't say it was unique to the brake pedal as I feel it through my left leg that is resting on the side of the transmission tunnel and also through my backside. Its closest in feeling to someone shifting their seat backwards/forwards - that type of thud you feel through the body as your passenger clicks back a notch or two. It lasts for a split second but is audible and you can feel it happening a lot more.

If the pressure on the pedal is very gentle then it often doesn't happen. A little more pressure ( as in coming up behind a car stopped at lights) and then it 'thuds'. I have also noticed it ( not often) pulling away from a standstill. It might be in relation to how the body of the car is sitting...as in I notice it more when braking a little more firmly as the car dips slightly forwards.

Car appears to be tracking fine and no odd signs of wear on the tyres. It also appears to be braking okay.

Does this sound like suspension as in shocks, wear on joints, something wrong with the brakes..Any clues as to where I start looking or at least give the garage something to work on?

Cheers for any advice.

Ged

Im not sure what the E36 is like but have a look at all your suspension bushes. Ive seen a couple of cars with basicly no bush left in the bottom arm do what your describing.

If you have a jack and stands, have a look under the car at all the bushes for cracks etc. If its as bad as your describing it should be easy to spot, also have a look at engine and Gbox mounts.

Its not somthing simple like a loose tyre or jack rocking around in the boot is it? :blink: