Sign in to follow this  
nztrekkie

engine missing

I have a 320i 1996 which when cold seems to have engine misfires when cold. It only comes right when the motor is warm and I mean when the temp guage is half way. It has been to the Bmw dealers for 3 weeks now and they cant seem to fix the problem. They throught at first it was the air flow meter sticking but alas when that was replaced it still farted till it was warm, they have also tryed replacing a few computer chips, so I thought someone here may of heard of the same problem or had the same problem and can give me some ideas to try

Sounds like an ignition problem, could be as simple as a faulty spark plug or lead. Is the miss a regular or irreglar one?

I'm not familiar with this motor.. does it have individual coils or a standard system?

Guest Andrew

does it have individual coils or a standard system?

I thought individual coils WAS the standard system...

:lol:

A standard system such as a distributor based ignition, as opposed to THE standard system.

and who's the english teacher around here?

it seems bmw dealers have found the problem, due to pick the car up today, they raided one their cars and swapped computer chips around until they fixed the problem, it seems it was the flowmeter and a computer chip. New chip will cost me $900 but they got hold of a second hand one for $300 with a 3 month warranty. I have to give jeff grey motors brownie points for locating a second hand chip and not just putting in a brand new chip