Sign in to follow this  
Jamiepo

Fuel Lines

I bought an 86 320i last week, it was repoed from some guy who was in the middle of doing it up. For some reason the line running up from the fuel filter has been cut about 6 inches above it and I can't find what it hooks up to. There are hoses all over the place and I just can't figure it out. Does anyone have any diagrams or photos of an M20 fuel system so I can get an idea of how it work. Also the little adjustable plastic nut that goes onto the throttle cable is missing, does anyone know where to get one from?

The fuel line from the fuel filter goes to the rear of the fuel rail nearest the firewall. The front of the fuel rail goes from the regulator to the tank return.

Do you have all sorts of vacuum hoses coming off the inlet manifold?

A pic of your engine would let me know what system you have and I can get the right info to you..

Will

This is a photo of the engine with the hose sticking up.

Posted Image

And this is what I think is the fuel rail.

Posted Image

A bit off topic but what is this, it has an old morleys bottle with a little tube going up to something, it has another tube going off to the front of the intake, any ideas?

Posted Image

If the pipe sticking up in your pic comes from the fuel filter then it goes to the rear of the fuel rail as you have photographed. There seems to be a pipe on it already with a loose jubilee clamp?

One point, how many pipes are there coming from the fuel tank? 2 or 3? Some tanks have a breather system and have a round breather cannister up where the fuel filter sits .. just make sure you are not mistaking this cannister for a fuel filter.

That other thing may be some sort of temp sensing device that controls vacuum to the distributor advance/retard but pic is not clear so not entirely sure. Is there a hose going to the distributor?

The rest of your hoses in the pic all seem to be connected properly.

Edited by topless