Sign in to follow this  
sackedbema

shortening shocks

i have just put in some jamex superlow spring in my e30 318i, the problem is when it is jjacked up the springs are no longer captive, which i think it may fail a warrant on, i was suggested shortening the shocks or get munroe shocks wat should i do

i have just put in some jamex superlow spring in my e30 318i, the problem is when it is jjacked up the springs are no longer captive, which i think it may fail a warrant on, i was suggested shortening the shocks or get munroe shocks wat should i do

Pull the inserts out & get em shortened, anybody with a decent lathe can do it. If the struts are buggered ,buy the correct length replacements

What about the rear shocks? they have that gay bit at the top, how would you go about that?

buy new shorter ones maybe???

What about the rear shocks? they have that gay bit at the top, how would you go about that?

I've never seen E30 shocks out

On a Ford we use to knock the dust cover off then machince & thread them down [leaving a shoulder to take the loads] then at the top we carefully ground two flat edges [to use a cresent to lock it]Fords use a Pin not an eye at the top

I assume thats the gay bit at the top

If that doesn't work, Just cut it ,Thread it,and bolt a Female Rose Joint to the top [then bullshit everyone about your fancy QA1 shocky's]I've seen homemade coilovers done this way

There are plenty of machinists/ fabricators in NZ that can do these methods

The "gay bit" at the top of the rear shocks is removable. I remember seeing instructions on how to do it in my bentley manual.

Guest Andrew

For Kerry's info - the E30 suspension out my race car. Pretty much all the same except my rear shocks are upside down.

If by the gay bit up the top - you mean the shock mount. Sure that comes off easy as. Hold the shock with something (we know a massive pipe wrench can never go wrong) and then undo the middle nut.

post-1-1152739417_thumb.jpg