Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

e34 heating and controls...

hey,

can anyone please explain to me the double climate control knobs? which one is what? im just confused about how they work. And i also noticed another thinkg:no matter what the settings are, the vent that goes down the middle of the car to the rear passangers (not the ones under the seat) always blows cold air, eveen when the car has been running for ages and every other vent is blowing hot air, anyone know why?

Thanks for any help

Andrei

My system doesn't seem to work all that well either. It has a mind of its own.

From the owners manual it is supposed to provide the occupants of the car with warm feet and cool air around the head so the driver doesn't get fatigued.

From what I can gather and seems to work on mine.

The Driver side control if it's full cold or full hot it will over ride everything and give you full hot or full cold every where, depending on what you select.

Driver side supposedly regulates the drivers side, passenger the passenger side.

When mine is just set to a temp I get hot and cold coming out from all over the place.

The back vents as I understand have their own heater matrix. This could well have been disabled by someone if it had been leaking, hence why you only get cold.

Another problem with mine is when everything is giving me cold I still get hot out the drivers side window vent.. It is bloody annoying in summer.

Another thing I have noticed is if I have the air con switched on the whole thing seems to work much better hot or cold.

Good Luck.

Edited by bezzal

My E34 provides hot air no matter what I set it to. Even if I turn off all the vents I still get hot feet at a bare minimum. On a hot day its windows down! I think I'll pay somebody to fix that one :unsure:

When you say 'Climate Control' do you mean these controls?

Posted Image

Or the horizontal rotary ones?

If it is the latter, Paul may be able to offer advice.

Edited by cainchapman

the system is pretty logical.The left hand red blue dial is for the passengers side,the right for the drivers side,the middle one is fan speed the levers send the air whereevr.The vent to the back seat will only supply unheated or a/c cooled air,in the winter turn it off,the heat for the rear passengers comes form under the front seats.A common problem with the e34 is the valves for the heater get stuck open hence the hot air al the time,sometimes they can be freed by tapping em withte temperature set to cold and the engine running.If the problem is not tin the valves(right rear of engin bay near the firewall) it could be the brain or stuck flaper motors or broken flaps.Flush your cooling sytem and keep the coolant changes up to date.Bezzal my car does that too,all ok but hot air coming out of the little triangualr vent on the rhs dash.I find if i turn the temp up to hot and then turn it down a couple of tmes it seems to go back to cool.

here is a ton of info for the e34..

http://www.bmwe34.net/

and for even more help

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

thanks guys,

i understood how the knobs work, and now it's confirmed that the rear centre vent is for cold air only. Thanks guys, once again this forum has been very helpful :-D

Andrei