Sign in to follow this  
Miller

323i Performance

Hi, I have a e36 323i. And i was looking at the specs the other day and why is it that my engine (the m52) produces less power than the 325i (the m50 engine) when they are both the same size engine. I thought my engine was supposed to be better. I am confused. Is there anything i can do to make my car perform better. eg. get parts off a 325 or 328 and stick them in? I already have a full exhaust system on the car. So is there anything else i can do? Thanks. Also on my old exhaust it had a oxagen sensor but now on the new one it dosnt it is just coiled up under the car. Is this alright or do i need it. Because i have heard that it can cause problems without it. Thanks

the m52 intake manifold is smaller than the m50.

so go find an m50 engine n rip the intake manifold off.

some minor fittings to get it to fit.

that should release another 20hp and put it on par with the 325i and 328i's 192hp as opposed to ours - 170!

The M52 used a intake off a M50 2litre , so you will need a M50B25 intake, The HP on the M52 is only less at Peak HP, when you bolt a M50B25 manifold on there is a drop in midrange torque [theoretically the diff ratio should be lowered as well] In fact BMW used a Higher ratio diff in the 328 E36. If you measured the HP at say 2800RPM [100Kph approx] the M52 will probably have more hp & torque.

Remember Torque wins races, Horsepower sells engines!!

If you drive it normally , leave it alone. If you are constantly in the upper RPM's do the manifold, exhaust headers,And Cams

HP=Torque x RPM [the way to increase HP is to increase volumetric eficiency at higher RPM]

BE HONEST TO YOURSELF ABOUT HOW YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT

Yea i am in the upper rpm alot. lol. Wot sort of cams would you suggest. Also do you have any idea about my oxagen sensor in my exhaust. Thanks

Guest Andrew

I've driven both and owned a 323.

I would take the 323 any day for normal driving - it "feels" faster due to the additional low down torque. I'm sure it would be so marginal in a race.

Your exhaust has a narrowband oxy sensor in it - why do you ask?

Um if you read above i was just asking because in my old exhaust it was pluged in but now when pit stop installed my new exhaust they didnt plug it in, it is just coiled up under the car. Is this bad for it? Can it cause any problems? Also i do not have the single pipe system any more i upgraded to the twin pipe system if that makes any didfference. Thanks

as long as it causing no problem, i wouldnt fuss about it

the dual should have mounting if its a stock 328?

why not leave the engine as is, but look into a manual swap (there one in FS section if i read correctly). will make a much bigger difference and way more fun

Guest Andrew

Um if you read above i was just asking because in my old exhaust it was pluged in but now when pit stop installed my new exhaust they didnt plug it in, it is just coiled up under the car. Is this bad for it? Can it cause any problems? Also i do not have the single pipe system any more i upgraded to the twin pipe system if that makes any didfference. Thanks

Perhaps it was the cat temp sensor not the oxy sensor that they didn't plug back in.

You would be getting CEL light with the oxy sensor unplugged.

i had a e36 325i a few years ago and now back onto the e36 bandwagon with an 323i coupe..

my coupe is definately way faster than my 325i...thanks to the midrange torque..am happy as chips the way it is..

if you wanted more power..you should have bought a 328i!

how the hell do you drive in the upper range all the time with an auto dude? stick in 3 and 2 alll the time?? :blink:

Thought they are reasonably bullet proof as long as you don't floor it when cold or high-rev down shifting?

nothing is bullet proof..if you're going to be thrashing the sh*t out of your car on daily basis, the gearbox is definately going to take it toll...try it or lets just watch Miller's car...;)

Na i just floor it everywhere. lol

sure do, love the smoke that comes out of when its cold and you floor it.

why dont u get a black e36 325i manual? maybe lower it a bit and drop it on 17's

they look pretty nice..

:lol:

lol. yea i get a bit happy and floor it sometimes when its cold. But it doesnt smoke when its warmed up. Na its low enough at the mo.(only 80mm off the ground from chassis). Na 17's are too small and i didnt want a black car after owning my skyline. And after all, all of this is comming from someone who wrote off there last beemer by failing to give way and got t-boned. Bugger.

lol. yea i get a bit happy and floor it sometimes when its cold. But it doesnt smoke when its warmed up. Na its low enough at the mo.(only 80mm off the ground from chassis). Na 17's are too small and i didnt want a black car after owning my skyline. And after all, all of this is comming from someone who wrote off there last beemer by failing to give way and got t-boned. Bugger.

yea it came out good in the end. up graded for $700

not bad. not bad at all

Aye? lol, someone told me you only got $1000 for your old car.

which is plenty, considering wrecks go for $500...plus 8-9k insurance.

condensation in your exaust makes it smoke when its cold, doh!