Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

Jetski

Hey all, ive prety much decided im going to get a jetski.

Any one here know much about them? Im having a look at a yamaha blaster 2 in the weekend, what are the things i need to be looking out for? I havent had much experance with two strokes and skis for that matter. If you know anything let me know.

Thanks

Make sure it's got rod holders and room for a fish bin.

I am also looking at getting one of these, ive heard to look for cracks in the hull, and basically make sure the jet it running smooth unde revs. Thats pretty self explanitory but yuh any more help would be great!

Edited by sakdbma

I have a friend with two. His advice is NEVER , NEVER lend them to anyone else to ride!!

He's had to rebuild both of his after 'mates' took them for a ride and just thrashed them. They then just walk away and he's left with bills around $8k to get them running again.

Oh yes, he also said - if you buy second hand - it WILL cost you $$$$ within a year! Reason - they will have been thrashed. Just watch people using them to understand what he means.

Edited by Jazzbass

Homo chariots.

Jetskis are fun but I'm almost ready to start taking pot shots at clueless idiots (usually with more money than sense) blasting around on them causing accidents and running over swimmers. The government wants to bring in boat registration and skipper licensing - mainly because of the actions of careless jetskiers. And once that happens there goes my last bastion of freedom, and another chunk of my income into another tax. As if owning a boat wasn't expensive enough (Think $7-8k a year already without licensing fees on top).

That aside, if you want to be a responsible skier, then I'd be looking very carefully at the motor and jet unit as how often do you see these things running at anything less than full revs?

I do know of a couple of secondhand ones in good nick - an overseas billionaire who is a customer of my Dad's and owns property here in the bay bought two brand new ones. he got his caretaker to unwrap and fuel them for his use when he came to nz. He didn't come that year. The enxt year he got the caretaker to take the now secondhand skis back to the dealer and trade them on new ones cos he was coming over and didn't want to be seen on l;ast years model skis. The dealer did a good trade but obviously made on the deal as technically the skis were no longer new and now a year old. This time the caretaker didn't act on instruction and left the skis in their crates. The guy didn't come over again and the skis were duly sent back for a full refund. bought new ones again last year which did get used for a few hours.

Some people live in a different world - his house is three years old, cost 20 million just to build the house. The caretakers "cottage" cost 1 million to build and the guy has lived in it for maybe 6 weeks in 3 years.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I only know him by his christian name - "Matteo" (sp) A quick google brings up Mr. M de Nora Robinia Investments Ltd - holdings - 525 hectares Bay of Islands (in the correct bay where his house is). The companies register brings up Matteo De Nora, Monaco. Overseas Investment amendment Act decisions says "of Canada". ASome other page has a comment from some italian woman "model" - 'millionarre I conquer it - Matteo De Nora' I'd say that's our man. Internet stalking FTW!

Doesn't make Forbes so maybe just multi multi mill.

I wouldn't retell the story except it's "common knowledge" in the bay so I'm not telling tales out of school as it were. Aparently he's a reallly nice guy - but likes to get his way. I'd want to get my way if I had that kind of money too!

We have a handful of billionaires/multi multi millionaires in the bay with ridiculous $10 million plus holiday homes. Kiri Te Kanawa (sp) although not a billionairre has a couple of million$ plus homes up here and resides here alot of the time, a couple of american celebs have homes here too. Was working at a site last week and the client arrived by helicopter. Had a 10 minute meeting with me and another professional and flew back whence he came.

So O/T - sorry Steve.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Id be behind getting a skippesr licence for them, i can imagin what it must be like up your way over newyears/Xmas. Evey body probly sais this but ill say it anyway, I'll be carefull.

Jazzbazz, Toys are made to be thrashed!! But i can see where your coming from and im not expecting a cheep ride with it. I say never lend your toys out to any one.....(unless you happen to be a multi millionare living in the bays :D )

Theres now way im going fishing in a damn ski, unfortunatly it dosnt appeal to me :huh:

So any other relevant info? Floating helps, but im not sure about the homo chariots part :o

no that just happens when you buy one

Hey all, ive prety much decided im going to get a jetski.

Any one here know much about them? Im having a look at a yamaha blaster 2 in the weekend, what are the things i need to be looking out for? I havent had much experance with two strokes and skis for that matter. If you know anything let me know.

Thanks

Depends what you want to use it for. If you want to go wave jumping (only really possible at Muriwai, Omaha and Pauanui where there is an offshore break) then get a Blaster 1, they are a much better ski for that.(I have one ,but they are only a single seater) If you want to just ride flat out in a straight line wherever (kinda boring) there are better skis for that than the Blaster 2. That said, the pump (jet) unit on these has a stainless sleeve, pressed into a cast aluminium housing. Water gets in and corrosion builds between the two, which leads to the whole unit cracking, usually at the top where you can't see until you pull it out. First signs are the impeller dragging in the stator housing as the pump unit swells up.New stator housing $400 + labour, and very common on these skis. Other than that, check for stress cracks in the hull, especially at the rear, which a lot of wavejumping will do, and around the engine mounts. Parts are reasonably priced and easy to get for these, as they are common to many other Yamaha skis. Oh and if all of this sounds bad, it is nothing compared to the grief a SeaDoo (Seadog they call 'em) or a Polaris will give you!

And to all you who had a grizzle about jetskis and their riders, well, go tell someone who cares!

Edited by conrod

jetskis = chicks

go for it champ.

Thanks canrad thats just what i wanted to hear. Interesting about waveblaster 1 being better in the surf. If this one im looking at dosnt turn out ill definatly be keeping an eye out for the older model.

I must be doing somthing wrong in the female department, may this will turn it around? haha Or as Sic sais, it could go the wrong way...... :0

So i should be looking for:

Cracks in the hull esp at rear and engine mounts.

Impeller dragging. A scarping tinny noise im guessing?

And im taking a compression tester with me also.

Edit: Parts shouldnt be a problem for me, i know some people who know some people who robbed some people. :huh:

Edited by Steve K-B