Sign in to follow this  
jochen

K&N Air-filter for my E39 540i

Anyone know where I can get a K&N Air-Filter for my E39 540i ?

In good ol' Auckland

I've been told they're the bees knees in filters, adds performance, and it is washable / re-usable

Jochen

Repco can get them in for you. Few other smaller parts places do too.

I bought 2 off e-Bay back then and shared one with a mate, landed in NZ for around NZ$80 each.

Jochen try here http://www.pap.co.nz/

Part Number: KN 33-2142 Matrix: 5 Unit: EA RRP: $126.88

Description: AIR FILTER BMW 540I-740IL 97-ON V8 << Click here to order

Category: Panel Replacement

further to above

I queried K&N in the states whether they had a cold air intake solution for a 99 540i and this was their response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. Unfortunately we do not offer an intake system for this year and model and at this time there are no plans to.

Thank you,

Leon S. Collins

K&N Technical Support

1-800-858-3333

So if your looking at a cold air intake for your 97 it looks like you would need to do the plumbing yourself with a K&N filter on the end, there a quite a few overseas threads on how to.

K&N you can get from a place down in Church St Onehunga. BMC filters from Retro Products in Grey Lynn

FWIW i dont think a K&N will match the BMW filter for keep the crap OUT of your engine.

Pioneer Autoparts, 278 Church Street, Penrose, is the K&N agent. 634 4115

FWIW i dont think a K&N will match the BMW filter for keep the crap OUT of your engine.

whys that?

fo real. K&N > bmw

K&N although is good, but be careful when you're applying oil, make sure it is not overly done.

Quotes from US BMW forums :

And a related FYI - I like K&N style filters as much as the next gear-head but if you over-oil them the lube can move down the intake, cover the MAF sensing wires, and you get to buy a new MAF sensor (again). You may notice MAF sensors often placed after a tubing bend to reduce the chance of something like this but it doesn't always do the trick.

Oil will migrate off of the filter and work its way downstream. It will contaminate all sorts of things. I had this happen on my '94 Dodge Pickup. The truck was off road a lot and I got the K&N to save on paper filters. Big mistake. On a BMW there is a chance the oil get will into the MAF sensor. If the dealer finds it full of oil, they are can charge you for the part, even if the oil isn't what made it fail.

I have heard from multiple credible sources that the oil on K&N filters is responsible for contaminating many a MAF sensor. I've heard this from independent shops, message boards, and a Dinan tech. If you go for an aftermarket solution, you may want to consider paying the $50 to get a Dinan conical filter from a dealer and use it instead.

I am of the same opinion as are both of the mechanics I have spoken to about this. K&N filters tend to let a larger amount of fine grit through and this is not a big problem for short term running (racing/drags/drifting/fanbois) where engine rebuiuds are fairly common as it doesn't have time wear bearings etc, but if you wanna get 300,000+ km out of it stick with the factory standard filter, they sell them with that filter because thats the one they know will work best at filtering and and will give good airflow.

Hi Jochen, let me know the exact year,model of your car and I might be able to help you.There are two K&N panel airfilters for an E39,540I.(33-2141 or 33-2675.

Cheers , Ewald.

P.S.the stereo still goes well.

1997 BMW 540i 4.4L V8 F/I - All Automotive Air Filter 33-2142

1997 BMW 540i 4.4L V8 F/I - All Automotive Air Filter 33-2142

Sorry, my mistake should be 33-2142, not 332141.