Sign in to follow this  
Danny Kiwi

Poor Idle and Bad Starting

Now for problem number two with the 86 320i,The Idle is shocking and sometimes even stalls at the lights and the car is very hard to start in the mornings..could it be the cold start valve and what is causing the car to idle so badly..

Are cold start valve very expensive to fix???

Heres hoping that its just bad plugs and maybe a hose that has vacuum leaks

Thanks in advance I look forward to your learned replies

TX

Use the search function to search posts from the dawn of BS

i had problems when my car was auto, with the idle control valve, i cleaned it fixed up some vacumm leaks and put new plugs in and it was ok.

difficult starting, bad idle... sounds like an air leak into the intake system or the crankcase. Check all intake hoses and dipstick seal and oil filler cap for being airtight.

The idle valve that is temp controlled on your car will be under the intake manifold in front of the starter. These pack up particularly if you havn't used antifreeze in the system. It is a strange looking thing with 2 coolant pipes and 2 air pipes going to it.

Cold start valve is at the rear of the intake manifold.

Will

difficult starting, bad idle... sounds like an air leak into the intake system or the crankcase. Check all intake hoses and dipstick seal and oil filler cap for being airtight.

The idle valve that is temp controlled on your car will be under the intake manifold in front of the starter. These pack up particularly if you havn't used antifreeze in the system. It is a strange looking thing with 2 coolant pipes and 2 air pipes going to it.

Cold start valve is at the rear of the intake manifold.

Will

I did see two Valves both going to the Injecor rails but at the font of theengine almost above the Thermostat housing??

Would this show quite clearly in Haynes or Bentlys??

TX

you didnt let andy water blast your engine recently?

Hayes has a pic of the "coolant heated throttle bypass valve".. idle valve in other words.

Bentley has a pic of most other things including cold start injector.

One other thing that you can check is the throttle position sensor switch, it is under the throttle housing. Check that it is correctly set up.

Will

water blasting the engine has to be the worst thing out aye, maybe fine steam clean?? i dunno. can some one let me know if the fuel filter is under the right hand sill by any chance?

if the fuel filter is under the right hand sill by any chance?

If your fuel pump is in the fuel tank, the filter will be under the rhs sill near the rear wheel. Otherwise it will be in the engine bay down under the brake master cylinder.

Will