Sign in to follow this  
familyman

Trailer Connection Plug

Hi all, I am going to be fitting a towbar to my 1992 325i E36 and was wondering about the electrical side of things. I have heard you have to have a relay box fitted which apparently are quite expensive. Does anyone know another way or where I can get this done in the Wellington-Hutt Valley area.

Does yourcar have a brake light out warning light thing?? Or any other warning light for blowen bulbs? If so it can be a little harder than normal

Easy. You just have to locate the bulb failure indicator. In an E30 it is in the boot area, I can't remember where it is in an E36, but it will be in the tail light wiring. Run your 5 core cable to the front side of this unit (ie. NOT the tail light side) The unit senses the current going through it, so by hooking up before the unit, it doesn't register the extra load on it.

Hi all, I am going to be fitting a towbar to my 1992 325i E36 and was wondering about the electrical side of things. I have heard you have to have a relay box fitted which apparently are quite expensive. Does anyone know another way or where I can get this done in the Wellington-Hutt Valley area.

Yes it does

Easy. You just have to locate the bulb failure indicator. In an E30 it is in the boot area, I can't remember where it is in an E36, but it will be in the tail light wiring. Run your 5 core cable to the front side of this unit (ie. NOT the tail light side) The unit senses the current going through it, so by hooking up before the unit, it doesn't register the extra load on it.

Thanks, I my my sparky understands

Thanks, I my my sparky understands

He should do, any worthwhile sparky should already know this without having to be told!

Trailer wiring relay box expensive?

Only if you get it new.

I just bought the genuine BMW part for my E39 on eBay for a grand 5.50 Euros ($11)

Plus postage it'll cost $50 in total

Not what I'd call expensive for the original BMW part :-)

...and easier than shagging around with a handful of automotive relays

Just gotta hunt down the wiring diagram and I'll be sweet...

Jochen