Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

tow hook??

hey this might be a stupid question and feel a bit stupid asking, but when your towing a bmw such as my e36 318is where do you hook the tow rope up to, the reason i asked is i screwed my clutch and had to tow it home, i couldnt see a good spot to tie the rope to so i used a chassi strut just under the gear box ( it bent) so anyway i have to tow it to the mechanic soon and just wondering the best place to tow from.

I presume its the same with any car/bmw. Have a look for a panel on the bottom of your front kit. There should be a removeable small panel or something of the sort that will open up or that you can take off and the tow hook will be behind. If you want to tow it on the back of a tow truck then the truckie will be able to find it for you

some of the later models have about a 20mm square panelthat comes out and a tow hook screws in.The tow hook in these cases has a possie in the toolkit

some of the later models have about a 20mm square panelthat comes out and a tow hook screws in.The tow hook in these cases has a possie in the toolkit

Is this the same for the E30???

Is it the little square in the bumper that you pull out??

Guest Andrew

Is this the same for the E30???

Is it the little square in the bumper that you pull out??

On facelift cars yes - pre-FL have the towhook out the valance.

Cheers guys ill go have a look, i dont have a tow hook in the tool box, bloody thing came half empty so hopefully i wont need one, but if i do anyone got a spare one :) ?

ok no luck had a look on the front kit, cant seem to find any latch that will open up to allow me to stick a Tow hook in or anywhere a tow hook would be hiding, some one must of towed one of these before, bmw surely cant of made there cars thinking they would never break and need to be towed the old fashioned way. please help

Excellent Thank you!!! nice and simple i like it...... now does anyone have a tow hook a spare one they could possibly sell?