Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

Stainless Brake lines

Looking at a set of stainless brake lines for my E30 on Ebay at the moment, landed here for about $130, which is half of what I've been told they cost here. Anyone aware of any problems with getting these, such as compliance matters and standards? Thanks.

They have to be "E" marked for a WOF, get them made over here. $130 US is approx $213 + freight + GST they're getting up there

Hi, the $130 is NZ dollars. Will ask if they meet safety standards. Thanks.

See the guys on here from the BMWCC, they got some made somewhere in Auckland to comply with regulations.

a bunch of us got ones from alert engineering, look em up. they fit straight up which is nice

andrew is using ones from cardwells for his wilwoods, give em a call and see what they got...were quite cheap from what i remember..check they got to fit e30 though..a lotta their stuff is imperial

Thanks Gus, will ring both tomorrow and get costs. Anyone else interested in bulk buy?

Also talk to Andrew - I vaugely remember him mentioning that with the new lines he has just had made he won't be needing his old ones. It may have just been a pasing comment, but worth a try.

I have had this problem particularly with motorbikes....braided brakelines are the most difficult thing for an engineer to pass for certification and the warrant guys dont like anything that's not O.E.......these lines MUST be crimped (not reusable screw together), they must have either a sae part# or have the relevant NZ safety code, or have the test band(like the id band on birds). But dont forget that even with these things warrant guys like to fail you for it........my mate and I have changed 3 sets of brakelines between us in the last 6 months because of legislation changes concerning the use of stainless brake lines.....

Guest Andrew

Thanks Gus, will ring both tomorrow and get costs. Anyone else interested in bulk buy?

You can take my front two lines for $50 bucks. (From Alert engineering and have DOT safety approval).

Just get the subframe and rear from Alert.

Should save you a bit.

Cheers

Guest Spargo

The only problem with them is dirt or other objects getting into the braid, and wearing through the line via friction. There's been a few failures due to that, so inspect them regularly.

Talked to Alert this morning, they have quoted me $240 incl gst, seems a good price, still looking around tho. Thanks.

Guest Andrew

The only problem with them is dirt or other objects getting into the braid, and wearing through the line via friction. There's been a few failures due to that, so inspect them regularly.

They are completely coated - you can't see the braid.

They are completely coated - you can't see the braid.

AFAIK thats one of the requirements for lines to be WOFable, for the reasons that sam said.

How much of an improvement is there over NEW rubber lines? I ask as most people seem to go from crappy old lines to the SS ones and rave about them.

from new rubber lines not a huge diff....from old ones massive...i like my stainless

haha i don't know if it still applies but the bulk buy? i may be interested.. depends if the offer is still up and if the price is alright.. needing a warrent though so passing ones will be a must

Talked to Alert this morning, they have quoted me $240 incl gst, seems a good price, still looking around tho. Thanks.

Talk to Trevor Turnock at Alert's and tell him you know Jock Styles (that's me!), ex Onyx NZ. Might get you a bit of a discount. <_<

Thanks Jock, got them last week, on the car now, fully compliant ready to go. Cheers.