Sign in to follow this  
jeremyb

318Ti optical remote issue

Hi everyone, changed the battery in my remote and now it doesn't unlock or lock the car, anyone know how to re-sync it to the car? its a '95 with the optical remote, can find details on how to do it with the radio remotes but not the optical :(

I have done a few on late Z3's and a few 5 series but not sure wether they are optical what does the key look like?

I can have a look on the computer at work (MotorWorks tuam st) and see how to do it what model is your car?

Jason........

OOPs just saw its a 318 ti will look tomorrow and let you know unless you have figured it already

Edited by JasonZE

Take it to your local Dealer and get them to change the batteries and check the keys still work. I asked Team McMillan and they quoted me about $27+GST per key to do it.

Ask Beemn about how much it costs, if you lose the transponder ($500 odd).

I have done a few on late Z3's and a few 5 series but not sure wether they are optical what does the key look like?

I can have a look on the computer at work (MotorWorks tuam st) and see how to do it what model is your car?

Jason........

OOPs just saw its a 318 ti will look tomorrow and let you know unless you have figured it already

That'd be awesome man, yep, 95 318Ti, I found info on how to do it for the wireless remotes on the net, just nothing on the poxy optical ones like in these compacts, it's got a little infrared diode in the key and a pickup in the rear view mirror :)

Take it to your local Dealer and get them to change the batteries and check the keys still work. I asked Team McMillan and they quoted me about $27+GST per key to do it.

Chch BMW have offered to do it, but I'd rather spend the money on gas ;)

Edited by jeremyb

The IR (infra-red) keys are identical to the wireless keys in the way you initialise them

The key initialisation procedure is written in the Owners Manual, its very simple

From my memory:

1. Get all your IR keys (normally there are 2)

2. Turn ignition on, then off in less than 5 seconds

3. Point remote at the IR sensor

4. Press and hold small unlock button on remote

5. Press lock button 3 times - red LED on remote should start flashing slowly. Key is now in initialisation mode.

6. Let go of unlock button, then press unlock button again briefly. Key tells car to memorise it.

7. Central locking should cycle if car likes your key.

8. Repeat from point 4 for 2nd remote

Jochen

The IR (infra-red) keys are identical to the wireless keys in the way you initialise them

The key initialisation procedure is written in the Owners Manual, its very simple

From my memory:

1. Get all your IR keys (normally there are 2)

2. Turn ignition on, then off in less than 5 seconds

3. Point remote at the IR sensor

4. Press and hold small unlock button on remote

5. Press lock button 3 times - red LED on remote should start flashing slowly. Key is now in initialisation mode.

6. Let go of unlock button, then press unlock button again briefly. Key tells car to memorise it.

7. Central locking should cycle if car likes your key.

8. Repeat from point 4 for 2nd remote

Jochen

Thanks Jochen, but could you please check the owners manual, I tried the above procedure with no luck, got the key sorta flashing but it didn't sync with the car :(

Team McM said there're two ways to do them and the one printed in the manual often don't work for most people. (BMWorkshop said the same too)

I got them Team McM to re-sync the key for me for free (probably because I bought some parts on the day) but they wouldn't tell me how.

Sorry, transponder do you mean the little electronics brain that's in the car?

I got quoted the IR w/transponder key replacement for around $250 from Team McM.

Transponder-only master key for $170

Transponder-only service key for $95 (this won't open/lock boot nor glove box)

Seek professional help. Take it to BMW and they will fix it in a few minutes.

No idea, I didn't do it. The 7 series key may well be different. Memory settings for drivers, who knows?

Hi Jeremy,

I did a friends 1997 318i E36 last week.

Put new batteries in the remote 2 x CR2016) and re-synced it

You do have to be like within 12cm of the sensor on the rear view mirror and it did take me 2 goes to make it work.

Key in ignition, on and off within 2 secs

Point key to rear view mirror

Press and hold Unlock button

Press lock button 3 times puts the remote in initialisation mode - slow flashing

Release, and then press Unlock again

Central locking cycles, done

Does your LED flash nice and bright in the key? if not, get 2 new CR2016 batteries.

I got them from Jaycar for $4 each (Dick Smith has them but twice as expensive)

Cheers, Jochen

Thanks everyone for your help, it turns out that my key is stuffed, I put the batteries in the spare and it synced fine... doh!

The buttons on it were really badly worn so I transplanted its brains into the other key and all is good, yay!

Edited by jeremyb