Sign in to follow this  
325GRANT

e30 crankcase breather removal

does anyone know how to remove the breather that goes from the crank to the manifold? should i be able to push it down and pull it off?

The standard race-car method is too run the hose into a breather bottle with a filter/breather on the top [the engine NEEDS to breathe]

If there are any oil seperators [eg: mesh] in the line, leave them alone, unless you enjoy emptying a bottle every 20k's or so.

Jazz make a neat little plastic breather bottle with a K&N filter on top [about $80.00]

I've seen many 'Homo' methods used,oil drain back systems etc [all pressure is equalized, rocker cover, sump etc so it will never drain back any oil unless the engine gets switched off,or a pressure reduction is added :'a pump']

The factory placement of the vent should be adhered to [unless it's a Ford built by Poms,where they breathe from the crankcase 'directional' with crank rotation,and can empty the sump in one race]

does anyone know how to remove the breather that goes from the crank to the manifold? should i be able to push it down and pull it off?

Unfortunately you have to remove the inlet manifold to get that pipe off. To do it you need to depress it first and hold it down before taking the manifold off. The reverse applies to install it, ie it MUST be put in place BEFORE you put the manifold back. Iit will not fit after.

Will

thanks for your help guys.

the problem ive got is that there is way too much pressure in my engine now due to the turbo and is causing oil to blow all over the place. i think when the turbo kicks in its forcing air down the breather and pressurizing the sump causing problems with my oil drain from the turbo.

im thinking of plugging the manifold where the breather meets up and venting the breather from the sump to a catch tank (with breathable filter on top)

anyone have an opinion on this?