Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Speedo not working

Hey guys, my speedo isnt working along with my tacho. Any ideas? I tried a completely different cluster and has the same issues. I'm opening it up now just to check the SI but it sounds like its at the other end - where does the car get its speed readings from? FYI This happened after a nasty impact on my front right.

Thanks

I'd go for the wheel speed/ABS sensor on your front tyre then.

$700 each (on the 540 anyway)

However, that wouldn't effect your Tacho.

Edited by cainchapman

The problem with dads car was loose connections at the back of the cluster, or poor earth - clean up the earth, behind the glovebox. A large portion of the interior loom grounds here.

- where does the car get its speed readings from?

The speedo pick up is in the rear of the diff, I doubt it is to blame however as it cannot affect the Tach too....

Well after opening the cluster I found the issue with the tacho - the smaller top cog in the cluster had broken off...and all the cogs in there were like wax...i could squash them with my fingers just by touching them. So I have swapped that out with another cluster, and I still dont have speed. I also cannot find the earth point behind the cluster...the loom just runs into oblivion.

Bleh!

If the tach is working now - check the speed sensor plug on the back of the diff.