Sign in to follow this  
trub

e30 catalytic converter failing...

I've got a feeling the catalytic converter on my 320i is on its way out shortly. So, options. A new cat, a resonator, freeflow sports systems .I'm confused... Anyone found a good solution. Is this going to have any effect on performance, sound?

cut it out and put some sort of freeflow in there.

where are you? auckland / wellington /Chch ?

im sure somebody can point you in the right direction.

a feeling?

just go to somewhere like al's mufflers if you have them down there and get them to make you a 2 1/4 system with one resonator and a muffler. mine works great

a feeling, well was looking over the vehicle and found two cables under the carpet behind the drivers seat. Looked like they should have connected to the sensor in the exhaust train but at this point had been fused together. I connected them and they tripped the overheat in the vdo. didnt mean anything and disconected them, no problem. the only other thing that is pointing to the cat is a tinking sound after shes been driven hard. ideas. cheers for the replys, whats the difference between the what gus and grant are proposing?

Both saying the same thing, take the cat out and put in a resonator or freeflow, your preference. Gus is just getting you to spend more cash!

The tinking sound is just the cat cooling down. They get extremly hot and hold there temprature for a long time after evrythings been turned off, esp when youve been driving it hard.

But i couldt tell you if its on its way out sory.