Sign in to follow this  
joejet

E36 lights - wires under the bonnet!

Kia ora,

An Angel Eye install on my 316 has seen me splice wires together to get the things working (cracked glass cover on LH side makes me overhaul the whole lot!)

Anyway, the LH Angel Eye is installed and working. The Drivers side is trickier and has caused the following symptoms...

- No response from eye when locking car, door opened etc (as LH side works in that respect)

- !!! My Instrument lights are not going! (Speedo backlight, etc...)

- My RH rear brakelight is out also

- RH lights work when on Level 2, but not the Level 1 when the eye should show.

(But RH angel eye works when on Full Beam - whats with that?)

I've got a dual Green wire which I think is the instrument one - but I cant see where that plugs in at all - (and this is my main concern)

Appreciate that you have read this far - and any suggestions welcomed.

Ta,

Joe

what kind of angel eyes did you buy? is it one of those "angel ring" ? or the whole angel eyes headlights set?

check your fuses for the fuse that youve blown for a start, that will be the cause for the instrument lights and rear lights not working

next get a multi meter and find what each wire does, eg put the multi meter to each wire and have someone turn on things when it registers power you know whats what, your angel eyes should of come with a wiring coulor diagram to show whats what on it anyway.

Cheers guys - still working on it...

I dont even know where the fuses are exactly either...

The Angel Eyes are the whole assemblies, not just the bulbs.

No instructions in the Angel Eyes box unfortunately.

hmm i havnt got mine yet.. so let me know how this turns out.

as madbma sed.. check the fuses and probably the headlight wires as they may have been grounded or burnt (mine had burnt out dunno why)

Fuse box should be under the bonnet up against the passenger side fire wall, should be a little box to flip open, i would ask who ever gave you the angel eyes for a wiring diagram, hope you didnt get ripped with a cheap knock off, as ive heard it happen and the lights can be unwarrantable.

good luck.

yessss!

The Angel Eyes now work - on 0.5 and level 1.0 (Full beam still cranks.)

And, replacing the 10amp fuse worked to get the instrument cluster lights working again. Very stoked.

It had been 5th form since i held a multimeter - turns out I didnt use it all that much!

One last gripe is the alarm use - when I click it, just the LH side lights activate.

I can live with this in the interim, but I'm all ears to hear of any suggestions??

Thanks -