Sign in to follow this  
kerrynzl

E36 Stereo Removal

Does Anyone out there in BeemBeem Land know how to remove a [factory]stereo head unit from a E36 without wrecking it. It is a Factory BMW BAVARIA RDS unit [with 4 tiny rubber bungs on the face]

The Jap units are easy with 2 allen head bolts- but this unit seems different [south-African]

Unplug or unscrew the 4 x rubber bungs, then use a radio extraction tool to insert in the 4 holes to release the catches.

The radio will then slide out. (use your fingers in the tape slot to pull the radio out)

If you don't have the radio extraction tool, you can use nails / jewellers screwdrivers / coat hangers to put in the holes and release the catches.

Cheers, Jochen (the BMW radio expert)

I don't have an extraction tool,but 4 allen keys will fit. do you push then straight in?

Hey Jochen thanks.it worked great

[now I don't need Jungle Race-car services,to remove it with a 'Balljoint hammer']

Next Question: I want to fit this radio into my Jap E36 Coupe. [the plugs & the number of pins is different]Can it be spliced into a different loom [successfully]

now I don't need Jungle Race-car services,to remove it with a 'Balljoint hammer'

and there i was, just about to offer!

Hey Jochen thanks.it worked great

[now I don't need Jungle Race-car services,to remove it with a 'Balljoint hammer']

Next Question: I want to fit this radio into my Jap E36 Coupe. [the plugs & the number of pins is different]Can it be spliced into a different loom [successfully]

Yes the wires can all be spliced in but just beware that the colors may be different. Best way to do it is use a volt meter to work out wich one the Constant 12V is (yellow on normal units) and the Switched 12V (red on normal units), find your earth, wire them up and test wire combinations for the speakers until you are happy, the last wire or two are for the backlight and dimmer. Hope this helps :)

Hi,

If you have removed it from one E36 to fit another E36 then the connector should be identical.

It's a big black square connector, it should just plug it.

Jochen

>> is this a business unit?

Post a pic or email me one

I can identify the radio from the pic