Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

BASTARD 325i Wont start

Ok, turned it off last night (running perfectly) and this morning it wont start. Battery is fully charged, Motor cranks as per normal, there is spark but it wont start. I am thinking it could be the fuel pump relay but was wondering what you all think. It is E30 325i engined 320. Sensors in the bell housing for TDC and Rev counter.

Does the Fuel Pmp run when the ignition is turned on or does it run when the computer gets a signal from the TDC sensor. If the later then I need someone to listen for Pump as I can't from opposite side of the car. Any help would be great.

While it sounds funny, it could be flooded. If my memory serves me right, it happens due to the fuel regulator (the part next to the intake manifold with a vacuum line running to the intake) failing and the intake sucks in too much fuel.

Carl, thanks for the reply, Really didn't think anyone would with the current dislike.

I did a few checks this morning when it failed to start, one of which was the nose up the exhaust, there is not even the slightest of gas smell. The injectors don't apare to be firing but is this due to the fact that there is either no fuel getting to them or possibly the Injector relay may be shagged also.

fuel pump relay? fuel pump itself?

not related to recent manual swap?

The relay is the first thing I'll be checking when I get home. Have spoken to BMW and they seem to think it is a common fualt and by giving it a jiggle it may help. Failing that I am looking at a new relay.

It could just well be in relation to the 2.5 install. Car was already Manual. The wiper relay shat itself when I took it for a drive on Monday. Not sure how an engine swap can sh*t a wiper relay though. All earths and power feeds were checked and didn't come up with voltage irregualarities (spelling) so who knows what is happening.

Pump is still the 2lt pump as I didn't have time to swap as car needed to be on road and is planned for this weekend.

Edited by smokenbaby

Guest Andrew

The pump runs with ignition on.

Jumper points 13b and (52 perhaps) don't have an e30 in front of me. It will make the fuel pump run and allow you to diagnose if it's a relay problem.

The pump runs with ignition on.

Jumper points 13b and (52 perhaps) don't have an e30 in front of me. It will make the fuel pump run and allow you to diagnose if it's a relay problem.

Thanks Andrew. Will post my results once known.

Just on the fuel pump note, what's the diff between the 2 and 2.5 pumps? Would running 2.5 injectors off a 2.0 pump cause any probs, ie, would lower fuel pressure cause the injectors to function less efficiently???

Edited by Carl

Just on the fuel pump note, what's the diff between the 2 and 2.5 pumps? Would running 2.5 injectors off a 2.0 pump cause any probs, ie, would lower fuel pressure cause the injectors to function less efficiently???

I would say they will. There is a small difference in Fuel pressure between the 2 pumps.

not sure about preFL, but the FL single in tank ones seem to be the same...a 318 pump worked fine on my old 325.

have a spare pre FL pump (external) if you need it

Does the Fuel Pmp run when the ignition is turned on or does it run when the computer gets a signal from the TDC sensor. If the later then I need someone to listen for Pump as I can't from opposite side of the car. Any help would be great.

The pump runs for 3 second once the ignition is turned on then stops if the ECU doesn't get a signal from the AFM.

The pump also runs when the starter is cranking, the pump is not effected by the crank angle/speed sensor

I would say they will. There is a small difference in Fuel pressure between the 2 pumps.

The pump does not determine the fuel pressure....the fuel pressure regulator does, you can interchange just about any of the pumps.

The pump does not determine the fuel pressure....the fuel pressure regulator does, you can interchange just about any of the pumps.

You are right about the Pressure.

After a few swear words, 6 bourbons and one of our German born Heidleberg Printing Press Technicians careful measuring with his multimeter, we determined the Relay was at fault. Using the Jumper wire across terminals 30 and 87 we had fuel streaming from the fuel line. Put it back on the fuel rail and hey presto it fired. Now all I have to do is find one at Repco as Shelly BMW don't have any in stock. Failing that I will have to wire a universal run of the mill Bosch relay holder and relay in.

Fingers crossed no more relay blow.

Thanks for all the help on this guys. Much apreciated

go to page european in home street see if they can put you onto a relay supplier.May even be able to get the old relay working,the contacts can become pitted.....you havent got anything to lose.

might have an old one lying around you can have via the postal service if you cant find anything

Relay had the coil windings come apart. No way to fix it. Have re configured and wired in a new relay holder so I can run any run of the mill off the shelf relay. Had to run a new ground wire for terminal 85 so the relay switched. There must be a dead short somewhere between the original relay block and the fuse box. Is all good now and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions and GUS thanks for the offer of a relay.