Sign in to follow this  
national 8

Race engine

I need some help please guys. I have inherited an engine which has been installed in a single seater race car. I need to move this engine on but I am not sure what I have got. I am sure someone out there will know what it is and what it is worth.

Briefly it began life as a touring car engine and is 1800cc I believe. It has been fitted with twin side draft Weber carbs and has Link ignition management. It has been dry sumped and uses the internal oil pump for pressure feed and an external scavenge pump for oil return. It reputedly makes in excess of 200BHP. It has done very little running - mostly on the dyno it seems and looks like a nice unit. I need to move it on and don't want a lot for it so it is probably cheap horsepower for someone. Any info gratefully received.

An M42 if it is the one I am thinking of. It never actually went into a touring car, but may have been built for one initially.It was in speedsport a while back for sale I think. Could be a nice upgrade for anyone with an E30 318is.

Certainly good value at around $3000, if that is the reserve.The hp figures sound like what we got from one in a fairly mild state of tune many years ago (another touring car engine too!) Might be a bit difficult to fit back into a BMW, escpecially with the dizzy someone has grafted onto the back of the exhaust cam. And obviously an alternator would have to be fitted somewhere too.

Edited by conrod

Blimming hell that looks nice!

Good luck with it mate.